Computer Crashes While Gaming

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I'm putting this under videogames because of the circumstances of this problem I am receiving. First up: My specs.

Asus N61JQ-X2
ATI Mobility Radeon 5730, currently using available driver from AMD Catalyst.
8 GB RAM.
500GB Seagate SSD/HDD Hybrid drive.

Now, this is a problem that I have been wrangling with for weeks, and I just created an account now because, truly, I am at my wit's end.

The problem: My computer, whenever doing anything videogame related, crashes. It is a hard crash -- the machine becomes entirely unresponsive, forcing me to do a hard restart of the machine. I've gone through almost anything I can to try and rectify the issue.

I re-installed the current graphics driver, cleanly, from Safe mode (Actually, it's not the current driver -- the latest AMD driver for my GPU give my computer a black screen. So I use the latest working driver). I put my RAM through 5 passes of MemTest86+ overnight, no errors.

Now, my hard drive was giving me some problems -- I would hear it crash and click off when playing videogames. The click was an obvious indicator that it was, in fact, the Hard Drive. I also ran it several times through Checkdisk, and Seatools. I RMA'd it, spent some time with an in-between, and Clone-'n'-Swapped the new one into my machine. This is a brand new hard drive.

I also put the VRAM of my GPU through a stress test as well; 1 pass, no errors.

And today, while taking Fallout New Vegas for a spin -- it crashes again! I'm gonna try and play another game and see if I run into that same problem.

At this point, though, I have no idea what to do. So I'm asking around to see if anyone can help. Any ideas?

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Funny you ask that question -- My computer is a laptop, so it runs off of a battery. I had to replace the Power Supply recently with one of the same model. It charges my computer well, though it is visible different from the last one. However, the problem did not start after I got the new power supply.

BUT, I think it should be noted that my battery has seen better days. But... my battery has been like that for months now. And if my computer was running out of power, wouldn't it just up and shut off?

Ah, I didn't look up the model number listed. I was thinking more about unsteady voltages or voltages out of the usual error range on 12V/5V/3.3V, or a PSU insufficient for the power draw causing instability.

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Something really interesting happened. I ran the test. The Processor passed the tests, and seconds after the test finished, the computer crashed.

Oddly, I am happy about that because that brings me closer to understanding what the problem is. It just might be a power issue.

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I have a battery that has been giving me messages suggesting I replace for over a year now. I never... really heeded that warning because to be honest, I was not keen on the idea of forking over $80 for a new battery.

But given the issue, and that bit of information, would a battery replacement fix it?

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Should I try playing games without the battery in and see if that causes a crash?

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

I really, REALLY hope that isn't the case. The laptop is well out of the 2 year warranty. Even if it wasn't, it has already been RMA'd once.

Also, I should note that last night I was playing Fallout New Vegas for an hour and 30 minutes straight. And on some days I can get it to run for really long periods of time, usually when it has sat plugged in for several hours with the battery.

Typically, after I unplug it and move it somewhere (like when I take my laptop to college) the crashing will start again.

Larchus

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Alright, playing without the battery didn't work. And I can only assume at this point that there's a problem with the processor, or video chip.

This will require either professional hands, or replacement. Ah hell.