Computer crashes while gaming

davidodocola

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
Computer crashes randomly while gaming. It sort of just freezes and I have to hard reset.

- I tried every single 970 driver and RMA'd it so def not the GPU.
- I cleaned and bought a CPU cooler so it's def not heat or CPU.
- I ran mem tests and there were no errors.
- I have EVGA 650W Gold so it should be more than enough to run a 970.
- I wanna KMS because I actually tried everything possible.

Specs:
- Intel i5-6500
- 2x ballistix sport lt 4gb
- EVGA supernova 650W Gold
- EVGA 970
- 2 TB Barracuda HDD
- 250 GB crucial SSD
- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO
- Cryorig M9 cooler

Also: I have noticed that the startup is relatively slow. When I first got this thing, it was up and running by 9s of pressing the startup button. Now it takes about 2 minutes (startup + windows loading etc).

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
your slow loading time could be from a faulty hardware/usb device driver or the device itself. this will make the BIOS POST time slower. open your device manager and check to see if any of them have a yellow warning mark.
just make sure first youve downloaded and reinstalled all your drivers from your motherboards support site. and your BIOS if necessary. use DDU to clean your graphics driver first in safe mode before reinstalling the latest driver.

davidodocola

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017

did everything and stuck on the BIOS update. Downloaded 3703. Renamed file to M8HA.CAP and the flash drive is formated to FAT32. All I get is "Selected file is not a proper BIOS!" and can't use the internet option.

davidodocola

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from davidodocola : "PC is slower than before switching XMP on?"

Previous problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3616848/computer-crashes-gaming.html

Now it does not crash no matter what I'm running, but the overall quality is degraded. Clicking on "show more tweets" on Twitter takes a couple seconds when it used to be instant.

I usually play Smite and it would always be running on 150FPS until it crashes. Now it runs on 130 and keeps going down gradually + some random freezing when opening item store (like LoL).

Also, everytime I restart, I have to POST in safe mode then go into bios and click "discard changes & exit" to actually start up the computer (usually Q code is 55).

davidodocola

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017

Oh I did. ASUS posted a wrong file as update so BIOS wouldn't accept it lol. The day after, they uploaded the correct one and the update went through (and Qcode problems started happening).

What speed are you memory modules or better yet, what is the exact part/model number of them?

Did you ever do a FULL CLEAN install of the GPU card drivers USING the DDU? IF not, please do so as follows. Step by step instructions are included.

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

It is recommended, highly, that you do that process while in safe mode, which you can find information on here:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Be sure to choose the Nvidia option once you are in the DDU screen.