Computer crashes while playing games.

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Literally what the title says. I just finished building my new rig, i7-4790k (4.0 GHz), 16GB, 128 SSD, 1 TB HDD, GTX 770, ASUS SABERTOOTH Mark 1 Z97, corsair cs 750W PSU. Anytime i play a game, whether it is league of legends which doesnt require much, to WoW, to BF4 or even AC:4 BF, my computer will crash. Cant use task manager, the only way i can use it again is to do a hard reboot. Checked my GPU and CPU temperatures, both well under the minimum, and reinstalled the nVidia drivers. Cant think of anything else to do. Please help. Also, when i look at event viewer, it states this:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Idk if that has anything to do with my random crashes or not, but please help guys.

Solution
Those temps are really hot, for gaming! Can you confirm that the heatsink is tightly installed on the CPU?
It's highly unlikely that you got a bad chip, CPUs are VERY rarely bad.

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

No actually the i7-4790k is clocked at 4.0GHz, the new devil's canyon series. So nothing i can do there.

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
when playing Assassin's creed it just simply freezes after about maybe 2 minutes of playing, GPU at 55C and i can only completely turn my computer off for me to use it again. When i play League of Legends, the video will freeze and audio will continue and then the blue screen appears. Thank you for youre answers by the way.

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah i know thats strong, haha thats why i wanted it. But i just tried playing it Assassin's creed and watching temperature and speed. When its about 2 minutes in, the processor seems to get the about 4.3 GHz and about 77C. in 3 cores, and 78C in the 4th core, then it freezes and audio makes like a buzzing sound as if the audio is looping. So are we thinking its a CPU problem and not the GPU?

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

So far that seems to be working, looks like a bad CPU :/ Thanks so much, here was me thinking it was a GPU issue. Guess im going back to microcenter for a new processor.

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

So after about an hour of play, it happened again. Max CPU temp was only 75C and GPU was 41C. Any thoughts?

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Just refitted my heatsinc and applied slightly more thermal compund, running at max 64C when playing for about 45 minutes, no crash as of now. this is also with no turbo boost and running at 3.5ghz. is that im not getting the right circulation in my case too? and you think my cpu would shut off at like 75C anyway? feel like thats a little low for them to shut off. ill keep you posted though

RagingDinosaur

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah that was the problem it seems, never went higher than 65C, im gonna try turning my turbo boost back on as well as increasing it back to its normal speed. Gonna get more fans as well to keep everything cool. Thanks so much guys, appreciate a lot!