Question Computer crashes while playing graphics intensive games ?

May 25, 2023
Around a month ago I upgraded my GPU and RAM, to cap off a build I had started around the middle of last year. I bought a 4070ti and 64GB of DDR5, and ever since I've been plagued with crashes of all sorts. From bluescreens to freezes to just straight turning off, I've spent dozens of hours troubleshooting.

The system has improved in stability after some of the things I've tried, but improvement isn't a fix. It still crashes irregularly, but regularly enough to be a significant issue, and I'm running out of things to scour google for, so I figured I'd ask some folks smarter than me.

The most common type of crash after a fresh OS install is something that I've seen before, but don't know a name for, so I've been calling it a "Redout". I'm sure it does have a name, but I can't find it. The sound freezes, the display turns one colour (Typically red) and the system turns completely unresponsive, requiring a manual restart.

Here is my part list (I know a lot of this build is overkill, the PSU is because of the rumours about Lovelace GPUs potentially being such monstrous power sinks originally and the rest is mostly just having OCD). I've read things about the 12900KS having compatibility issues with Lovelace cards, but since naturally people with the same CPU as me are rare I can't really confirm this is the case. Not many are talking about it.

I'm not even confident it's the GPU. Originally I thought it was the RAM, it could be a driver issue (Although reinstalling hasn't helped the half a dozen different times I've tried it so if it is it's on Nvidia to fix), I'm not sure if it's faulty hardware or even one of my existing parts having broken despite them being no more than nine months old each. I've tried so many things I've actually lost track of what I have and haven't done, and honestly don't know what else there is to do, so I'd really appreciate some assistance.

The image is of one of the "Redout" crashes. They only seem to happen when playing intensive games (The screenshot is from Payday 2, which I figured was old enough as not to cook my GPU if that was the issue, but rendered enough things to at least stress it). The thing is, there's no consistency to them. I can go without incident playing games like this for days, but crashes seem completely spontaneous, and mostly arbitrary. Other than needing to be playing a moderately intensive game to trigger one at all, this can happen several times in a day, or I can go several days undisturbed. I'm at a loss.

IL1oM9y.jpg

May 25, 2023
Have you monitored the gpu/cpu temps while playing games? What bios # are you running?
There's no spike in temperature whatsoever. It seems to happen at high GPU load, but temperature is completely normal, and cooler than I'd expect given it's a 4k, 144hz monitor. No higher than 60c

Bios has been updated, this was one of the first things I tried. Happened on old, still happens on new. Have also tried a complete driver purge (Although I suppose that's inherent to having wiped my OS), still persists.

Check under computer management and see if there are any critical errors or warnings other than unexpected shutdown. Just to rule out your ram try using just one stick of ram at a time. Also what kind of power connector cable do you have going to the gpu?

Last edited:
To verify that ram is 100% good,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

I might suspect the 16 pin power connector or the connections.
Some have been defective and burned out.
If you used the 16 to two 8 pin included adapter, did you use individual cables to each 8 pin or did you use just one cable with two 8 pin ends?
The latter is not recommended. A single cable is typically not designed to carry the 300w load.