Computer crashes while playing skyrim

Cyrus Cee

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
I did a play through of the game about 6 months ago, and I only crashed about every 2-4 hours. Now, I decided to try another playthrough but everytime I start playing, I crash within 30 minutes. When I crash, stripes of some random color appear and I bluescreen after 15 seconds. I've tampered with the settings on Skyrim a bit and I discovered that I crash when playing on maximum res with Ultra settings, and on the lowest res with Low settings.

-I don't have any mods installed
-It does this while my Cpu is/isn't overclocked

System specs:
Radeon HD 6670 2GB Gpu
Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard
AMD FX 8-core processor @3.1Ghz
1-stick 8GB Corsair RAM
2TB Deskstar HDD
650 Watt Antec Psu

G

As I said before, stripes of some color, usually white or tan, appear on my screen and after 15 seconds, I get a bluescreen. No error box pops up or anything. I tried using the memtest86, am I supposed to use a usb to boot my system? How do I test my memory using the application? It's not very clear..

Cyrus Cee

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Well I've resolved it incase anyone is having the same issue, It turns out that underclocking my graphics card (slightly), made it work without crashing. I've played for 20+ hours without a single crash.

Cyrus Cee

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Well actually, I got the PSU about 5 months ago, and the GPU ~18 months ago. At any rate, I'm upgrading to a GTX-770 in about a month; I have another post about it asking if my PSU of 650W has enough wattage for it when it's overclocked. I hope it isnt the GPU, but I guess it doesn't really matter since its going to be switched out soon anyways.