Question Computer Crashes

bushtucka

Prominent
Mar 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I made a thread about this a while back (but I can't find it now :/) about how whenever I enable 4 cores 4 threads, or 4 cores 8 threads on my Intel i7 4790, my computer crashes randomly, mostly when gaming but even happens when browsing. This forces me to only be able to use 2 cores 4 threads MAX. I have no idea what the cause for this is, and I want to get the most out of my CPU. The BSOD errors occurring are usually something about KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, however, these errors vary heavily and different messages are often displayed.

Thank you!

bushtucka

Metal Messiah.

Notable
Mar 28, 2019
"It looks to me that your Intel CPU generated a trap and the "kernel" failed to catch this trap, IMO. It might also be related to some faulty or mismatched hardware on your PC".

Anyways, kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

bushtucka

Prominent
Mar 30, 2018
"It looks to me that your Intel CPU generated a trap and the "kernel" failed to catch this trap, IMO. It might also be related to some faulty or mismatched hardware on your PC".

Anyways, kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec
Thanks for the reply.

Here are my specs.

PC model: HP z230
GPU: GTX 1050 2047MB
CPU; i7 4790 4 cores, 8 threads @ 3.60 GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
HDD: 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9yN164 (SATA)
SSD: 223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G (SATA-2(SSD))
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1905 (SOCKET 0)
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster (1920x1980@60Hz)
Antivirus Software: Windows Security or Windows Firewall

Thanks! :)

Metal Messiah.

Notable
Mar 28, 2019
Is this a prebuilt PC from HP ? Are you using the CPU's stock cooler ? I suspect some fault on the mobo, or the CPU itself. Can you try to reseat the CPU back into the socket ? In the meantime, also check for any bent pins on the CPU as well ?

PS: I'm NOT some TECH expert, so please kindly allow others to guide you further with this issue, in the right direction. Thanks for posting your PC specs though. I need some more time to think about how to resolve your issue.

bushtucka

Prominent
Mar 30, 2018
Is this a prebuilt PC from HP ? Are you using the CPU's stock cooler ? I suspect some fault on the mobo, or the CPU itself. Can you try to reseat the CPU back into the socket ? In the meantime, also check for any bent pins on the CPU as well ?

PS: I'm NOT some TECH expert, so please kindly allow others to guide you further with this issue, in the right direction. Thanks for posting your PC specs though. I need some more time to think about how to resolve your issue.
Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate the time you're taking to help me out here.
I'm not an expert either, so I don't wanna mess with the PC but yeah, all I've actually done is take out the old GPU of the case and replace it with the GTX 1050. I also feel like it might be caused by some sort of driver or something like that. My hard drive and SSD, I have been using for the last 10-odd years and I feel like the cause of the issue might be some kind of old driver interfering with the PC, thus causing crashes. However, this is JUST a theory. If need be, I can see if I can provide any minidumps. Again, thank you very much for your time. :)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Metal Messiah.

Notable
Mar 28, 2019
I also feel like it might be caused by some sort of driver or something like that. My hard drive and SSD, I have been using for the last 10-odd years and I feel like the cause of the issue might be some kind of old driver interfering with the PC, thus causing crashes.
Which specific DRIVER are you actually talking about ?

bushtucka

Prominent
Mar 30, 2018
Sorry for the late reply.

My PC is now not even booting; as soon as I open it, it comes up with the "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" or something like that. I'm taking it to a PC expert on Monday, so no need to worry. Again, thank you so much Metal Messiah for your help on this issue. Much appreciated mate. :)

Again, thank you so very much for your help.

bushtucka

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Metal Messiah.

Notable
Mar 28, 2019
Hey there,

No problem at all. I just hope your current issue gets resolved soon. And, it's a SHAME that I couldn't be of any help....😦 .....But I'm almost certain things are going to be better.

Take care, and GOOD LUCK m8.

Last edited: