[SOLVED] Computer crashing after running Heaven Benchmark

Jun 7, 2020
[Moderator Note: Edited post to break up the original full paragraph.]

Hello!

So for the past 2 months or so I have been dealing with computer crashes whenever I boot up an intensive game or program such as Heaven Benchmark.

Now, the precursor to how I got this far was when I was playing Escape from Tarkov and I gradually started getting more and more BSODs. It got so bad to where I could not even boot up the game without crashing. I checked my drivers and they are all updated.

I have ran the Chkdsk command and as far as I can tell my 2 HDDs and my M.2 are fine.

I've been watching a few videos and one stuck out to me and I ended up testing it. So basically I narrowed it down to something with my motherboard potentially. Reason being is that in the video I watched, the guy was having similar if not the same issues as me.

At first I thought it was the power supply, but its only 3 years old and I did not smell anything burning when it was running, so I believe it is fine, especially since it is not even 4 years old.

I ran MemTest86 one night and my ram passed all 13 tests. But when I ran the GPU program Heaven (as the guy did in the video) it crashed after 5 seconds. But the catch is, my GPU is not even a month old, it's almost brand new and has seen little to no usage (due to the crashing).

So that lead me to the motherboard. I switched out the GPU to a different PCIe slot, and was able to run Heaven for 16 minutes and 25 seconds. So I figured alright, must have been a bad PCIe slot.

However, after around 30 minutes of testing out an graphic intensive game like Rome II Total War, my computer crashed.

Although it was an improvement since I was able to play for 30 minutes but I am wondering if my motherboard is going bad.

Also, I tried playing Escape from Tarkov, and can not even get into a match without crashing even when I go into windowed mode, since I figured it was something to do with me being full screen. However I can run little indie games like Hades and Nuclear Throne without issue.

Another Interesting thing is that, I am not even getting BSODs; the game freezes, then sometimes goes to a black screen ( white screen on occasion), or just freezes but then nothing else. I am still able to move my mouse around sometimes, but I have to do a hard reset every single time.

Not sure if this is any indicator of anything but, when all of this started becoming an issue when I was playing graphically intensive games, such as Tarkov, and I was getting BSODs slowly but surely more frequently.

I did not put two and two together because I automatically went to it being a software issue but I am still not entirely sure what exactly the issue is.

But I think it has something to do with the power that my GPU has to draw from the motherboard in order to run graphically intensive games.

Also, how I know it is not an issue with Windows 10 (like I originally thought) is that I did a full clean install of Windows 10 and it still crashes.

Specs:
GPU - RTX 2060 Super
Motherboard - Asus Z-270a
CPU - Intel i5-7600k
Memory - 2 x 8gb 2666 Mhz Corsair Vegeance
PSU - SeaSonic S12G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
OS - Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I would not rule out the PSU.

The PSU is a critical component and provides 3 different voltages to the computer's other components.

And they do degrade overtime and all the more so if constantly required to provide high wattages for long periods of playing/working time.

Plus PSUs have designed in EOL (End of Life). For the most part 3 - 4 years may be at or nearing that point where the PSU simply cannot keep up with peaks in power demands.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not rule out the PSU.

The PSU is a critical component and provides 3 different voltages to the computer's other components.

And they do degrade overtime and all the more so if constantly required to provide high wattages for long periods of playing/working time.

Plus PSUs have designed in EOL (End of Life). For the most part 3 - 4 years may be at or nearing that point where the PSU simply cannot keep up with peaks in power demands.

Solution