Computer crashing because of power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfgur

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hello everyone!

I'm having quite an interesting problem with my computer and playing games right now. For whatever reason, whenever I'm running a game my computer crashes. I've checked my temperatures during most games and they all seem to be fine (around 50c max on everything) and I'm starting to wonder if it could be my power supply acting up? I have a 1000w power supply so everything is definitely getting power to it. I did put my 680s fan on manual control to keep it from overheating, so while extremely unlikely it could be making it so that my gpu isn't recieving enough power because of it?

As an added note, this only occurs when I'm playing games like TERA or Crysis 3. I did have it happen one time while I was playing Burnout Paradise as well though.

Solution

If the RAM tests show errors that will be good; but I have never had, nor has my computer geek son-in-law (been into PC's since the 80's) ever had the tests show anything. He has found sticks of ram that messed up his system anyway and gotten them RMA'd and solved the problem.
If the RAM...
That's a pretty good power supply, so for the moment let's not pick on it- even though that's what the problem looks like.
How clean is the inside of your case?
Are ALL the fans spinning and working properly?
With your 680s' fans on manual, how fast are they spinning (% or rpm, MSI Afterburner or EVGA PrecisionX will list it): And 'No" the fans won't pull enough power from the GPU to make any difference.

The first suspect, after temp and power, is your RAM. You can run MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostics and might get an answer from that; try it one stick at a time. Then install one stick at a time, if your mobo will allow it, in the 1st DIMM socket (I just had to do this but had to run dual channel, two sticks at a time) and run you computer. If it hasn't messed up after a couple days, try another one or two. If none mess up in that/those DIMM slots, try it in the other slots.
Time consuming; Yes. But about the only way to find out if you don't get an answer from the other tests.

Try borrowing another known, good psu and running that for awhile; it could still be your power supply, even though it is a good brand and model.

I guess before I or anyone else suggests anything else, you should post your system specifications so we know what you are dealing with: mobo brand and model, CPU, RAM, HDD set up, OS, video card, SLI or not.

wolfgur

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I hadn't considered RAM, I'll get to testing that now. As far as the rest;
My case is fairly clean, no real dust build up.
All of the fans are indeed working.
When its under load the highest it has gotten is around 70% speed.

As for specs,
motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU - i7 3770k 3.5ghz
RAM - g.skill 32gb ddr3 1600
HDD - single seagate 1tb HDD
OS - Windows 7 64 bit
Video Card - single evga geforce gtx 680 4gb

wolfgur

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Alright, I'm planning on running a memory test overnight to see if RAM is the problem, but as a small update, I did run a prime95 and furmark test at the same time for about an hour to see if it would cause my computer to shut down and it didn't. I don't know if running it for only an hour gives it any weight but playing any of the games in that same amount of time would have almost guaranteed a crash. Hopefully that will provide some answers!

If the RAM tests show errors that will be good; but I have never had, nor has my computer geek son-in-law (been into PC's since the 80's) ever had the tests show anything. He has found sticks of ram that messed up his system anyway and gotten them RMA'd and solved the problem.
If the RAM checks out good, and you try another power supply and that, too, checks good, then the next thing to check is the video card.
One last thing; It might be worth the ~19 - 25 dollars to buy a copy of 3DMark. The freebie will test your video card as many times as you like, but you have to run each test separately: The paid version allows for a Custom test and you can loop it indefinitely. One of the best benchmark/stress tests for the video card.
Hang in there. Chasing down intermittent and/or sporadic problems with electronics/computers - without specific hardware or software - is frustrating and time consuming; but you will come up with an answer.

Solution

wolfgur

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Well, I'm not sure if this entirely qualifies it as working and I'll definitely continue testing each stick on its own if it doesn't, but the memtest didn't find anything wrong in just under 10 hours with all four sticks in. This was more of a test for the DIMM slot failures so I guess those check out fine.

I would guess that 3DMark and furmark are fairly similar, though 3DMark might be a bit more enjoyable to watch than a spinning doughnut haha. I will consider looking into it if nothing else seems to be helping, but I don't think it will have any more effect than furkmark does. They both seem to just put the gpu under full load until the user thinks that its had enough or an error occurs. As for a power supply I'll have to wait on that for a while, I don't have my other one here with me at the moment so I can't pull out the current one and see if that is the problem either, so I guess I'm stuck here for a bit. While it probably won't help, I'll try reinstalling drivers and see if that has any effect on it, I did have a problem with the drivers before so while another unlikely cause it could be the problem.

wolfgur

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Well, I've seemingly figured out the problem. It wasn't the PSU, good call! It was my graphics card. It wasn't overheating though, it doesn't properly sit in my case. I plopped in my 580 that I've never had problems with and its running anything I could ever ask it to like always without failure. So I guess I'll have to figure out what to do from here. Thanks for all of your help!

You are very welcome. Glad you found the problem, and in short-order, too!
Thanks for joining the forum and posting.

linsyschopman

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Hey there, i'm having similar problems at the moment, could you please explain "doest sit properly in my case"? Thanks in advance

I think he meant "fit". The most common "mis-fit" is that the card is two long and 'bumps into' other components or parts of the case and will not properly seat in the PCI-E Slot. There are a few occasions I have heard of where the card was to tall or wide, and when the case was closed it was popped out of the slot or, worse yet, damaged.

Dec 18, 2020
What brand and model power supply.
@nostall Hello, sorry for reviving an old thread but I am going through the same problem and I was thinking about buying a new PSU.

PSU is kinda expensive where I live, so I want to take a good shot. Is there any chance you could help me with this?

My PC's specs:
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Dark Force 600W (it does not have an 80+ rating certificate)

Because my PSU does not have an 80+ certificate, I believe that from time to time it is not enough so the PC closes itself. I have checked my RAM via Windows and it did not show any problem with it. Can it be anything else, should I check my GPU or CPU? I do not have an overheating problem.

@nostall Hello, sorry for reviving an old thread but I am going through the same problem and I was thinking about buying a new PSU.

PSU is kinda expensive where I live, so I want to take a good shot. Is there any chance you could help me with this?

My PC's specs:
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Dark Force 600W (it does not have an 80+ rating certificate)

Because my PSU does not have an 80+ certificate, I believe that from time to time it is not enough so the PC closes itself. I have checked my RAM via Windows and it did not show any problem with it. Can it be anything else, should I check my GPU or CPU? I do not have an overheating problem.

Kirmizicekic, I realize this is an old thread, but by posting here you have hi-jacked that thread. Please repost a new thread in the Power Supply forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.