Computer crashing black screen, PSU or GPU? HELP!

odnarud

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
MB: EVGA 131-GT-E767
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.2
HD: OCZ 80 GB SSD
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
PSU: Thermaltake 900W
Memory: 3x 4GB DDR3

My computer is consistently crashing when gaming. Typically the computer will crash to a black screen and the speakers will make a buzzing sound. Everything freezes and requires manual restart. Not every crash occurs this way however, and occasionally the computer will not freeze totally but I will still here audio, and at times the audio will even respond to whatever buttons I am clicking. A hand full of times the computer did not freeze, and only the game crashed. After a few seconds video returns, and windows error reads 'your rendering device has been lost.' At this point, I am confident it is either power supply and/or graphics card, but am unsure how to diagnose from here as I do not have another power supply or graphics card handy to swap out. I am all but ready to order a new power supply, as I have been monitoring using HWmonitor and +12v rail reads around 11.15-11.37 volts, and during gaming drops as low as 10.855 (without crashing). I am sure this voltage must drop even lower when it crashes but will never now as it freezes my entire PC.

My PC is clean and have checked and rechecked all connections, changed every BIOS setting and system setting I can think of, over and underclocked multiple times, changed game video settings, performed memtest86 (with 0 errors), and nothing has significantly changed the crashing. With the voltage of the PSU being so low, I am ready to buy new 750W PSU, but don't want to if could be the GPU. Anybody have thoughts? Everything in the system is about 6 years old. All drivers up to date currently running on Windows 10 64-bit. Thanks.

Solution
Thermaltake isn't on my to-buy list but at six years that's good lifetime. Continued use could cause damage to the motherboard or cards. Get a PS then check the WEI (Windows 7) in Windows 10 under advanced tools > performance. If the score does not change it is a bad sign.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
That voltage is too low but at that age I would replace both. I don't game but the EVGA 750Ti does everything I want. The newer model should do well. Haven't had my power supplies long enough to recommend them.

odnarud

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
If money weren't an issue I would definitely. I'd like to replace just one if possible. I'm not looking to max out graphics at this point but just have reliable performance.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Thermaltake isn't on my to-buy list but at six years that's good lifetime. Continued use could cause damage to the motherboard or cards. Get a PS then check the WEI (Windows 7) in Windows 10 under advanced tools > performance. If the score does not change it is a bad sign.

Solution