Computer Crashing due to heat... Or hardware failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mipic13

Prominent
May 1, 2017
So recently after about 1.5-2 hours of pc use my computer will crash.. Usually when playing an intensive video game, at first I thought this was a heat issue. I brought myself over two desk fans and set them up to help cool down my PC. When my computer crashes I can hear the video game I was playing in the background, but my screen is blank and I get a "No signal" from my monitor. Could this be a GPU issue? The hard drive that holds m personal files and OS is about 5 years old now, I know they like to deteriorate over time. It doesn't help that it's mounted in a "ghetto" fashion (It's suspended over the other hard drive resting on some elastic type material). I also applied new thermal paste about a month ago, and before that two months. I also have an issue that could be seperate but related. When booting up, my PC will go into the BIOS screen with the ASUS logo showing and something along the lines of "Press f5(?) to go to bios menu". When the computer crashes or I turn it on after turning it off. the ASUS logo disappears and I'm stuck at that screen, but if I turn off my PC and back on by holding the power button it starts up normally and goes to the BIOS. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. (My team mates in Rainbow Six Sieges are getting mad at me for disconnecting so often)

SPECS:
OS -- Windows 10

CPU -- AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM3+

GPU -- MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Motherboard -- ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

HDD(S) --
#1 (Personal Files/OS): 500gb Hitachi
#2 (Games/Files): western digital 1tb black 3.5 internal hard drive wd1003fzex

RAM -- x2 Kingston 4gb

mipic13

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Case is an apevia x cruiser 3, I have two fans on top, on on the back, and a large fan on one side, as well as a desk fan on the other side. I'm using Core Temp to monitor my PC, I have it set to sleep when it reaches 85, It never reaches that temp, my CPU seems to be hovering at around 60-75 (though I have seen it around 81) when playing intensive games. As for my GPU, I have Nvidia's afterburner application and haven't seen my GPU go over 50.

mipic13

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Why would only my monitor be shutting off? I thought when a PC overheats, the PC shuts off.

mipic13

Prominent
May 1, 2017

The temp is the same when playing intensive games, it slowly creeps up from an idle 20 up to 70 then idling around 60-75 after playing for a bit. Something that I also neglected to mention is that some games work fine, and I have no overheating issues, but when Saving the game and the game world around me is re-rendered (If that's the term used) the monitor will shut off as described above, this particular issue is one that I have on Skyrim and other games that use this same function (I am running plenty of mods as well as ENB graphics).

mipic13

Prominent
May 1, 2017

No, I haven't done that to it in it's lifetime since I heard that this model overclocked can fry itself sometimes

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
75C is way too hot. I used to have the exact same CPU and same mobo. You probably need to clean the heatsink and fan, it doesn't matter what desk fan you are blowing into it if the heatsink is stuffed with dust.

The person who bought my old CPU and mobo managed to OC it to 5Ghz using Corsair H100i btw.

mipic13

Prominent
May 1, 2017

I've done this, my CPU now doesn't reach over ~65C, I took my PC to a buddy's house and plugged my GPU into his PC and all was well, then tested out the cables.. all was fine as well, My only thought would be a motherboard issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.