[SOLVED] Computer crashing during certain games ?

Oct 2, 2021
I could really use some help here. I am at the end of my rope, I am out of ideas and this is severely impacting my ability to play games. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I am having issues with my computer crashing during certain games only. It is generally a random amount of time into the game and usually once I crash once I will get a cluster of crashes until they go away again for an hour or so.

My build:

GPU - ASUS TUF 3080 OC (clocked to 2000)
CPU - i9 - 10900KF (not overclocked)
mobo - ASUS 490z
RAM - 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4 3600
PSU - Corsair RM1000X - this is the only component that was replaced when I rebuilt the rig in Dec. 2020
Storage -1TB NVMe and a secondary 1TB SSD

I have only noticed two things on event viewer:
  1. While playing Valheim I get nvidia driver failures
  2. Occasionally I get a full BSOD (rare) but then I notice a CPU error in the event viewer
What I have tried:
  1. memtest - the RAM passed all tests, even tested each stick by itself
  2. tried to use MSI Kombustor etc to force the GPU to stress out and reproduce to the issue to no avail
  3. put my old ASUS ROG 1080ti OC back in and still had crashes
  4. I swapped the RAM slots and it seemed to make the crashes less frequent (all I did was switch the 2/4 slot RAM after doing memtest)
  5. I've monitored my heat religiously and because my case is tempered glass with open joints and 4 case fans + an AIO on the CPU I do not believe this is a thermal issue.
  6. I tried reinstalling my GPU drivers but I did not flash them
What I am thinking about trying next:
  1. replacing the PSU
  2. wiping the NVMe and downloading Windows fresh
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Edit: spelling errors

Solution
just found out that the ASUS Armory Crate app that ASUS directs people to do update drivers/BIOS is itself not updated with the correct drivers.
yeah it's update features are only good for updating itself.
my firmware, BIOS, and utilities offered are all over a year older within Armoury Crate compared to direct downloads.

I've seen an awful lot of complaints of both Valheim & New World recently.
all pointing to unexplained GPU-related crashing.
some even returning cards with no other signs of failure only to have the same issue again with different cards.

if you're not experiencing issues with any games but these two; for now i would just chalk it up to crap coding.
Oct 2, 2021
first try totally removing all graphics related drivers, software, settings, etc with DDU.
then reinstall the latest driver package directly from Nvidia.

also make sure you have all of the latest motherboard drivers installed
and that you are using the latest BIOS.

I just used DDU and I have already updated all the other drivers several times via the ASUS software.

I just got a full BSOD (actually not even, it was a full system power down and restart, no blue screen) playing New World with the following event viewer error:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000096, 0xfffff80708bfe68c, 0xffff8501a64ee920, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: bc275c53-b0cf-4d9e-9eb6-8c46c1c55e63.

I have gotten an event viewer error stating that the nvidia driver had stopped working (I get that one while playing Valheim)

Edit: Also, thanks for taking the time to help John

Edit 2: had WinDbg analyze the crash from New World's dump in %appdata% and got this:

SYMBOL_NAME: NewWorld!AK::WriteBytesMem::Size+a649c

MODULE_NAME: NewWorld

IMAGE_NAME: NewWorld.exe

STACK_COMMAND: ~111s ; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005_NewWorld.exe!AK::WriteBytesMem::Size

Is this indicative of bad RAM or am I not reading it correctly?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021
I could really use some help here. I am at the end of my rope, I am out of ideas and this is severely impacting my ability to play games. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I am having issues with my computer crashing during certain games only. It is generally a random amount of time into the game and usually once I crash once I will get a cluster of crashes until they go away again for an hour or so.

My build:

mobo - ASUS 490z
PSU - Corsair RM1000X - this is the only component that was replaced when I rebuilt the rig in Dec. 2020

2. Occasionally I get a full BSOD (rare) but then I notice a CPU error in the event viewer
What I have tried:
  2. tried to use MSI Kombustor etc to force the GPU to stress out and reproduce to the issue to no avail
  4. I swapped the RAM slots and it seemed to make the crashes less frequent (all I did was switch the 2/4 slot RAM after doing memtest)
  5. I've monitored my heat religiously and because my case is tempered glass with open joints and 4 case fans + an AIO on the CPU I do not believe this is a thermal issue.
  1. replacing the PSU

I just flashed my BIOS again, I'll see what it does but the version was up to date and therefore didn't change.

Drivers are all up to date, as is windows 10 version.

GPU drivers were removed with DDU and reinstalled yesterday and I had a crash immediately after doing so.

I ran a windows memory diagnostic overnight and it turned up nothing yet again.

Edit: just found out that the ASUS Armory Crate app that ASUS directs people to do update drivers/BIOS is itself not updated with the correct drivers. Also found an intel ME update that could be for the exact issue I've been having. Will see if I can come up with another crash but the BIOS is now up to date now that I have stopped trusting the app.

Last edited:

dracobeats

Commendable
Dec 31, 2018

My build:

mobo - ASUS 490z

What I have tried:
  1. replacing the PSU
Did this just start happening out of no where? Did you change any settings or hardware before this problem started?
I had an issue with my pc recently where I upgraded the cpu and I kept getting hardware errors and crashes in games, my video driver was getting errors. My solution so far was downclocking the memory to 3200mhz instead of 3600mhz. I am on a ryzen system so it may not be the solution for you. Reset all your components to stock frequency and voltage including ram and gpu and test everything. If it works at stock try the xmp on your ram and see if it works. Then apply your setting on your gpu and see where the problem happens. Also just because you get no errors in memtest or memory diagnostic doesn’t mean there is not a ram issues. I tested mine and got no errors yet it seems ram was causing my issue. But yeah see if those Intel drivers changed anything and see if your chipset and bios is updated. I hope I helped a little bit. Reply with your results.

VXV

Oct 28, 2021
I just flashed my BIOS again, I'll see what it does but the version was up to date and therefore didn't change.

Drivers are all up to date, as is windows 10 version.

GPU drivers were removed with DDU and reinstalled yesterday and I had a crash immediately after doing so.

I ran a windows memory diagnostic overnight and it turned up nothing yet again.

Edit: just found out that the ASUS Armory Crate app that ASUS directs people to do update drivers/BIOS is itself not updated with the correct drivers. Also found an intel ME update that could be for the exact issue I've been having. Will see if I can come up with another crash but the BIOS is now up to date now that I have stopped trusting the app.
Did you ever figure this out? Having similar problems myself.

just found out that the ASUS Armory Crate app that ASUS directs people to do update drivers/BIOS is itself not updated with the correct drivers.
yeah it's update features are only good for updating itself.
my firmware, BIOS, and utilities offered are all over a year older within Armoury Crate compared to direct downloads.

I've seen an awful lot of complaints of both Valheim & New World recently.
all pointing to unexplained GPU-related crashing.
some even returning cards with no other signs of failure only to have the same issue again with different cards.

if you're not experiencing issues with any games but these two; for now i would just chalk it up to crap coding.

Solution