Computer Crashing (freezes but mouse still works)

pi653

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hello,
I have a mostly new computer.
GTX 960 4 GB EVGA gpu
MSI 970 Gaming Mobo
16 GB Kingtson RAM
Corsair 650 Watt PSU
FX 6300 Processor
Corsair Mid size tower
750 GB Hard Drive
The only part not new is my 64 GB SSD. My problem is after about 1-2 hours the game or computer locks up. Sound still goes and mouse can move. It seems odd to me. I did a clean install of windows but Ive got several thousand errors (none of them are crash errors). I really have no idea whats going on. keyboard doesn't do anything, but the mouse can move. I have no clue what it is, does anyone have any idea?
Thanks.

Updatr: problem solved by reinstalling windows on a different hard drive. Ssd must have had an issue.

Solution

Ya that is what corsair markets it as the reality is that it is more suited to office work if anything. If you want to know why take a look here.

If you are willing to do a rebate you can get this 750W for $60

pi653

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
The tempatures are all below 50 C, I have a hyper 212 cooler for CPU I havent seen it get higher than 45. Unless Im playing a really crazy game GPU doesn't get over 50, and its never been higher than 65.

pi653

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
PSU is a brand new CX650M by Corsair, some of the error IDsare:
There are thousands of errors, most of them occur on boot. These are some of the most frequent.

You definitely shouldn't have that many on a fresh install but they look unrelated. It sounds a bit like a power issue though. Make sure your drivers are updated for one but I would watch the voltages (esp. the 12V rail) while gaming and see what it does.

Your PSU is only rated for 30C so I'm thinking that after an hour or so of gaming it is heating up throwing the voltage regulation off.

pi653

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Really? I thought the cx series was for gaming? Ill get a new psu simply because im so sick of this problem. Its a brand new computer. The crashing happens when i leave it running overnight as well and i have 3 case fans. I can find virtually nothing on this type of crash so.. Any recommended psus under 100?

Ya that is what corsair markets it as the reality is that it is more suited to office work if anything. If you want to know why take a look here.

If you are willing to do a rebate you can get this 750W for $60

Solution

pi653

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
I think i actually figured it out. I did an install of windows 7 (because ive never had a problem with it before, was using windows 10) but i did it on an old 750 gb hdd and i disconnected ssd and other hdd and its running fine. Ill update if there are any crashes. Ill look into a new psu too. Just incase.

TRENDING THREADS