Computer Crashing randomly

FrogMstr

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Right then, so a couple of days ago, my computer started crashing for no apparent reason.

Specs:
-Corsair Vs 450
-AMD radeon 7850 2GB
-Intel i5 3550 3.3 GHz
-8GBs RAM

I have thought that the PSU may not be suitable but that is all I can think of. I have heard of .dmp files but not quite sure if you need them or where to find them.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Solution

My reply was not in order, and can be misleading. Memtest is to test RAM error, not virus.

For virus, some malware may not be caught by Norton or McAfee. Malwarebyte has been very useful for me to eradicate some evil ones in my friends' computers.

As suggested by Manthan, it can be PSU even under my test method, but at least I experienced the same issue, and it was video card. That's why you may want to try one to one swap.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Try to run the computer without GPU. Go to BIOS, enable internal graphics and set it as default. Turn the PC off. Remove the video card. Hook up monitor connector on the motherboard port. If PC runs smoothly under this setting, it's the video card. Likewise, if you have access to a working PC, you can try to swap components one by one to identify a culprit. Of course if you can be sure there is no software issue, like virus. Did you run memtest?

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

My reply was not in order, and can be misleading. Memtest is to test RAM error, not virus.

For virus, some malware may not be caught by Norton or McAfee. Malwarebyte has been very useful for me to eradicate some evil ones in my friends' computers.

As suggested by Manthan, it can be PSU even under my test method, but at least I experienced the same issue, and it was video card. That's why you may want to try one to one swap.

Solution

AxlMyk

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Not always. Video cards suck up a lot of power.
Whenever I've had random shutdowns/reboots, it was the PS either failing, or too small.