Computer Crashing/Restarting During Game Playing (And now even when not playing a game)

TopSir

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Hello-

So it started when I bought "Shadow of War", after around say, 5-7 hours of total play time (I took a few breaks in between that) my computer just boop, shutdown and restarted itself. No bluescreen or anything, just bam monitor off, fans off everything. And then after about a second or two it restarts. My computer may not be a beast but it was able to handle monster hunter world on mostly high settings so it should be able to handle this game easily. I checked the reliability monitor and it said "windows was not properly shut down". I constantly checked the temp of my gpu as I was playing and it was around 80f or so, but that should be normal for a bigger game like that.

This then continued to happen much more frequently every time I tried to play it. I made sure my graphics drivers were up to date, and I had even uninstalled and reinstalled them just a few weeks prior to this so they should be fine on that end. Eventually I tried cleaning the inside of my computer, which turned out to be covered in dust. So I cleaned off what I could and nope, still crashing. So I gave up, and moved on.

But now it crashed the same way when I played Rainbow 6 Siege, a game that I've clocked 340 hours on and this has never happened once. So clearly this is a new issue, it can't just be because of shadow of war. I've had this computer for around 3 years now, maybe 4 even, and I love it to death, but this is scaring me.
Most recently it actually crashed even when I wasn't playing a game, this was right after the Rainbow 6 Siege crash, too. This time it crashed to a bluescreen before restarting, the bluescreen didn't stay, though it just popped up for about a second before the restart. For the bluescreen crash the error says "Video hardware error" which leads me to believe that this may be an issue with my gpu, but other people say it could be a problem with my computers power, or even the motherboard.

I'm not a computer expert, I actually know very little about the insides of computers and I didn't build this one, I had a friend help me with it. So if anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it, especially if you can go easy on me with the high tech talk.

Computer Specs:
Possessor: Intel Core i7-5820k - CPU @ 3.30GHz
GPU: (Two) Nvidia Gforce GFX 970's
RAM: 16gb
(If there's a spec I missed let me know)

Solution
Not the best (nor the worst) PSU in existence. Average and should be okay if working properly.

If you remove the second GTX 970, does the system perform correctly?

TopSir

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Ah this is probably a stupid question but how would I go about checking that?

TopSir

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

It appears to be "Toughpower 750w Gold" (I may have that wrong but hopefully it helps).

TopSir

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

I will try that! Hopefully that will fix it, I'll update you on it soon~ thank you for the help <3

TRENDING THREADS