Question Computer crashing (shutting off no BSOD) and rebooting when playing games.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
Hello,

Recently my computer starts crashing and rebooting when I play games (usually heavy load). I have not had this problem ever until a few days ago and I am unable to identify the source of the problem.
I have the logs from hwinfo just before the crash but it's kinda difficult to see what I'm exactly looking for apart from the temperatures.

According to the logs I have:

In Celsius
CPU temp: 32-69
GPU temp: 44-66

I have a hunch it could be a power issue with the PSU but I haven't had this issue for nearly 3 years so I'm not so sure.

My setup is:

Case: Phanteks Enthroo PRO
Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene
CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX2070
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z. RGB
CPU fan: H7 Cryorig
SSD: M.2 NvMe + Sata
HDD: Some 1TB junk...

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited:

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
use occt and stress test psu under load for about 10 min note voltage with hwinfo anf made a log of it when on test report result .

I wasn't entirely sure if I ran the correct test but I ran the OCCT with the power tab for 10 minutes and here is the results:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AveCcrRpqMhkkV1-B4t-Yy8AULqz?e=6UqPyT

Was surprised that it didn't crash but sometimes under heavy load it can run for a couple of hours and other times just shut off immediately so it's hard to predict when it will happen.

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
if you check the sheet you will see when cpu get under load is temp raise fast and the it start fluctuathing on power he give i would recheck and repaste cooler to see if this solve it look like it overheath and cut

Ya you are right. I noticed this and realised that my hwinfo logs weren't being saved properly when i was recording them before the crash so I wasn't able to get a proper temperature reading.

I've re-pasted the cooler on the CPU and got new logs with OCCT:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AveCcrRpqMhkkV-WQWFNofwKvVxV?e=Kzcgs9

I think the temperatures are still a little higher than I would like it to be... Should I upgrade my CPU cooler?
This is the thermal paste that I am using at the moment:

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
if you check the sheet you will see when cpu get under load is temp raise fast and the it start fluctuathing on power he give i would recheck and repaste cooler to see if this solve it look like it overheath and cut

I've had a look through OCCT while I was running a game to observe the temperature before the computer crashes and it appears to not go beyond 76 degrees for the CPU. I do sometimes notice that there is a sharp dip in the power signal on the GPU sometimes and I'm uncertain if that may be the cause. The GPU temperature tends to stay around lower temps with the hotspot area hovering around 78 degrees. I'm considering RMAing the PSU because I think that may be the issue that's causing the sudden shutdown, but I am wondering if that is the correct train of thought at this point.

Is what am being lead to making any sense?

EDIT: I have also confirmed that now the computer shuts off randomly even when not playing games.

Last edited:

stephen9310

Commendable
Nov 15, 2019
i would try this since cpu have a gpu chipset remove gpu and do some load and game test also psu have 3 pci-e output and came with 4 cable next tast would e to interchange unused cable and connector on psu for gpu .

Hi,

I have narrowed down the problem that it is a PSU issue. I have RMA'd the PSU and got a new one and I no longer have the problem. I've also changed my CPU fan because it was a cheap one that I was planning to change later anyways and it seemed like a decent time.

Thanks for everyone's help.