Computer crashing to black screen but still running

SuperJenBot

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello I have recently run into a problem with my computer over the past day or two. At random times the computer will crash, I have 2 monitors one of which is plugged into my MOBO and the other is plugged into my GPU. When it crashes the monitor plugged into the GPU will turn black and the other monitor will freeze but remain on. The fans will continue running and will run a bit faster after the crash. I do not believe this is an overheating issue as I have monitored my CPU temps and it will sometimes crash when idle or not on for very long. I have checked all the plugs and everything is plugged in fine. I have not made any changes to my computer or hardware before this issue started occurring. Any help would be much appreciated because I do not want to try replacing parts before I have figured out what the problem is. Because of only the monitor plugged into the GPU turning off I am assuming the problem may be with my graphics card.

SuperJenBot

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I have actually not had any more crashes since I turned off my computer when I went to bed. Everything has been fine since then. I restarted my computer several times when I was trying to fix it but this time there were some updates. I am wondering if the updates are what fixed it?

Dsquard2

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
So....I wanted to share what fixed this issue for me.

I did not enable vertical sync in-game, but I did change my FPS to match the refresh rate of my monitor. The issue at hand is that my GPU was pushing itself to the limit with the FPS being uncapped by default. I was crashing in different parts of the game. It was only THIS fix that fixed the issue for me.

I hope this helps.

-Dan