Computer crashing when booting up any game.

samanas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Hello, I've had this PC for a year or two now and recently I downloaded The Bureau: XCOM and soon it began to crash. After a few system crashes caused by the game where my PC froze up and my screen showed just a brown or gray color, I uninstalled it. I tried playing other games but they all began to crash and begin to glitch out. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drives, taking my GPU out and putting it back in, checking power cables, and thats about it. I'm a bit stuck here, and I would like some help. Thanks.
Brief specs:
CPU: i5-3570K
GPU: R9 270x
16 GB RAM.

samanas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

I have tried running other games as well and I get the same result. I installed an old 7850 I had lying around and that card seems to be working at the moment. This only makes me question more why the 270x isnt working, and I don't think it's a hardware problem. It's very strange.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
That is very strange indeed. The 270x outperformances it immensely. And you're certain it's installed properly with the right cables? It's on the fastest PCIE lane that you have for it? Have you tried troubleshooting it? Is your Bios updated to the latest drivers? I mean if the 270x works on every other game, you should investigate why it's crashing on that particular game. Like what are the requirements for it or if it has issues with AMD cards.

samanas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

I have re-seated the 270x, installed new drivers, updated drivers, uninstalled them, and re-installed them. Nothing seemed to work. The 7850 is running games fine, so I'm not sure if it's software, though I have a sneaking suspicion it may be. The 270x has been in my PC for almost a year now with no problems so I don't think anything was installed incorrectly.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
This is gonna sound random, but what is your PSU? A lot of issues that I've encounter with underperforming cards to be linked to a low power PSU.

samanas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

I have a 520 Watt Seasonic PSU, but I don't think it's power consumption. This card has never had problems before until now.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Well it was worth a shot. I don't know what else to say besides contact the manufacturer. Especially if you're within warranty. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a better GPU for play current games. In either case I hope someone else can resolve this for you, I'm stuck. Peace

samanas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

It's fine, thanks for helping me. I think I'll just ask around or wait for more people to input their opinions. Have a nice day.