[SOLVED] Computer crashing when running, I think it's PSU related.

Jun 7, 2020
I've tried many many things in trying to get my computer to stop freezing, I've reinstalled windows 10, reduced CPU clock speed to 65 percent, and more stuff. I just can't get to the root of the problem. The only thing I can run off of is "High" and "Very High" power usage in Task manager, everything else is fine. It's the power then it's followed by the crashes, so I'm concerned it might be a power supply on it's way out.

My system specs;

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GBDDR6)
CPU: Intel core i7 6700K (LGA1151)
RAM: 2x8GB RAM (HyperX 1333MHz)
Storage: 1TB Toshiba (Hard drive) and 1TB Seagate M3 Portable (External hard drive)
Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI
PSU: 700W (CoolerMaster) Masterwatt lite (Rated 80+ Bronze)

If someone could help me figure out what it is exactly, that would be amazing. Thanks.

Solution
Yeah, it may not be the PSU. Now, the PSU is a lousy one that I wouldn't recommend new, but it might not be causing this specific problem.

Could you double-check your specs? It's hard to say because some details are missing, but it's looking a lot like you posted DDR3 RAM information while having a DDR4 platform. That's impossible, of course, unless you're using one of the very early motherboards that let you use low-voltage DDR3 RAM. I don't believe this motherboard supported that, but if I'm wrong, then I'm extremely concerned if this RAM is in fact normal DDR3 RAM, because then there's a very good chance that your memory controller is on its way out.
Jun 7, 2020
Just a note. I hit the "very high" and "high" readings when I'm playing games, but it's perfectly fine when it's idle or just sitting on the internet.
Ie. It will very very rarely crash and lock up when not on a game.

Freezing? As in you can't do anything on it? Is that right? I know your PSU is a bit trash, but that sounds more like a motherboard, GPU, RAM, or temperature related problem to me. The best way is just to test it out using spare components.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020
My primary concern is the power supply. I'm going to hopefully look into getting a newer one, pronto. Any way I can precisely identify if it is the power supply?
And it isn't temperature related. I have a very well ventilated case and I have never had an overheating problem.
Freezing? As in you can't do anything on it? Is that right? I know your PSU is a bit trash, but that sounds more like a motherboard, GPU, RAM, or temperature related problem to me. The best way is just to test it out using spare components.

Usually a PSU problem is abrupt and replicable. Either it completely doesn't boot, and if it does boot it will turn off only in certain loads and turns off immediately. If the PSU is the culprit, then it should be isolated from the main components of your PC. But judging from the weird problem that I read here from time to time, it's not always the case and it's best to just test it with spare components.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, it may not be the PSU. Now, the PSU is a lousy one that I wouldn't recommend new, but it might not be causing this specific problem.

Could you double-check your specs? It's hard to say because some details are missing, but it's looking a lot like you posted DDR3 RAM information while having a DDR4 platform. That's impossible, of course, unless you're using one of the very early motherboards that let you use low-voltage DDR3 RAM. I don't believe this motherboard supported that, but if I'm wrong, then I'm extremely concerned if this RAM is in fact normal DDR3 RAM, because then there's a very good chance that your memory controller is on its way out.

Solution