[SOLVED] Computer defaulting to wrong graphics card

eddyb95

Honorable
May 27, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I just got a new graphics card in the form of a GTX 1080. I have installed it into the top PCIe slot on the motherboard and the card works fine and the computer recognises that it is there. The problem that I am having now is that my computer seems to be defaulting everything to use the other card in my system that is a Quadro 1200k, which is way worse than the 1080.

I have the Quadro for cad work and to drive my other monitors but would like to use 1080 for gaming obviously. I have read online that people suggest using Nvidia control panel and setting the 3d settings of the application to use the GTX 1080 and the "prefered card". However, I do not have this option on my control panel. The next suggestion I've seen is to change it in windows 10 advanced display settings by selecting the "high performance" option. The high-performance option is the Quadro 1200k though.

It seems like the computer will not use 1080 for some reason. I have updated the drivers to the latest ones available from Nvidia. I have noticed that on the Geforce experience panel there is an option to have it "optimize your games" however it will not let me use this option stating that I need a 400 series card or higher. And when checking my system information via steam it only shows the Quadro k1200.

I really don't know what is happening or how to fix the issue and any advice would be great. Computer specs bellow to help out.

Motherbaord: Asus z170-ws
Processor: i7-6700k
Graphics card 1: GTX 1080 Zotac
Graphics card 2: Quadro k1200
Ram: 32GB

Solution
The Computer is using the k1200 for nearly all of the applications that are running, whereas the GTX 1080 is only being used for rzsynapse.exe and steam.exe.

Nvidia control panel doesn't give me the option to select the prefered GPU for applications and the GeForce experience, while it sees the GTX 1080, seems to not realise that it is to be used as it tells me that i need a 400 series or higher GPU for game optimization

That's usually a program selection, not a control panel applete

You have an extremely niche configuration.
I have one monitor connected the 1080, this is where i play my games. I have two connected the K1200.

It might also be the game. When DX starts there's a function that enumerates (list in a collection) all the graphics adapters. If the programmer got lazy and picked the first NVIDIA or AMD card it saw (in some cases they pick the iGPU) then it would use that if the QUADRO's are higher in the enumeration list.

eddyb95

Honorable
May 27, 2014
It might also be the game. When DX starts there's a function that enumerates (list in a collection) all the graphics adapters. If the programmer got lazy and picked the first NVIDIA or AMD card it saw (in some cases they pick the iGPU) then it would use that if the QUADRO's are higher in the enumeration list.

So far I have tested two games. Skyrim Special edition used the Quadro k1200 until i went into the Nvidia control panel and changed the 3d settings of the programme to use the 1080 for "Cuda - GPUs" and "openGL rending GPU". The other game is the Master Cheif Collection, I can see that it is not using the 1080 as i have task manager opening and i am watching the k1200 usage spike when the game launches and plays.

eddyb95

Honorable
May 27, 2014
what exact do you mean computer default to the Quadro? and not using the 1080?

The Computer is using the k1200 for nearly all of the applications that are running, whereas the GTX 1080 is only being used for rzsynapse.exe and steam.exe.

Nvidia control panel doesn't give me the option to select the prefered GPU for applications and the GeForce experience, while it sees the GTX 1080, seems to not realise that it is to be used as it tells me that i need a 400 series or higher GPU for game optimization

That's usually a program selection, not a control panel applete

You have an extremely niche configuration.

Reactions: eddyb95
Solution

eddyb95

Honorable
May 27, 2014
I think I am going to remove the card from the computer. Like you said the arrangement is very unique and it is not working well together. I think the 1080 is probably a better card for cad work anyway and removing the k1200 will remove the bugs that I am experiencing hopefully.