Question Computer died today

jimmypokemon

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Asus computer will start but shows no video on both graphics card and onboard graphics. It will turn on with lights and all but no video on 2 tvs and different cables. I can’t turn it off using the case’s power button but can turn it on with it. Once it’s on, the only way to turn it off is with taking out the power cable.

Last edited:
You could get a power supply tester for about $20, but chances are good the power supply is gone. You can reseat he power connectors and any PCIe cards and sometimes that will help since connectors don't always maintain good connection over long periods of time (thermal creep is movement from repeated heating and cooling cycles). Just be sure the system is fully discharged prior to any reseating (unplug it and hold the power button down for a few seconds prior to starting any cable changes...and ground yourself to the chassis frame for a moment before starting).

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
that's very interesting.
But all that you've said is a bit off, for example, you say an ASUS computer will start but not show video, and then you say you tried on two different PC's. This last statement clashes with the first and confuses me.

Also, you say the power button turns the system on, but not off. Are you holding it down to power off or just pressing it once? Because pressing it once to turn it off doesn't work unless you're either still in the BIOS or if you're in Windows and you've set the power button to do that using the power option settings in control panel.

Either way, no video isn't good.

Let's get some more info about your Asus system please.

If it's a pre-built system, please provide the full model number so we can look up the exact specs.
Also, you can provide us with said information using the DirectX Diagnostics tool by pressing the Win+R keys on keyboard, then typing in "dxdiag" without quotations and pressing enter, then looking at the base information from the main tab, and getting graphics information from the display tab.

If it's a custom built machine please tell us all the main components like so:

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
GPU
PSU (Power Supply)

And don't say simple things like 500w PSU and Intel Core i7 but be specific about the models like so:
(I will use my personal specs for this example)

Intel Core i7-6700K
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz Kingston Value RAM
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Corsiar CX600 600w PSU

jimmypokemon

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
It's an Asus M32CD with DDR3. I added a 1050ti and 4gb of ram and an ssd. Sorry I meant 2 Tvs not 2 PCs.

Also when I mean turning it off using the case's power button, I mean holding it for 15-20 seconds which usually works.

Full specs are:
i5-6400
Prebuild motherboard
12 GB of ram (8 from prebuilt and 4 added)
Nvidia 1050ti
Prebuilt 350 watt PSU

Xbox works with my tv but the computer isn't. I'm thinking it's the motherboard since the computer gets power and turns on but doesn't get video.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if it does, then it's an issue with the GPU being initialized, or with the BIOS not switching over to using it at which point you may have to disable the iGPU (shouldn't have to though)

If it doesn't work after removing the GPU, then something else is afoot.

Possibly a bad motherboard. But we'll see.

jimmypokemon

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Tried your suggestion. Still nothing. Another thing that actually may be completely unrelated is the cpu fan makes this weird sound like an engine starting up but backwards. Again, may be completely unrelated. Any other suggestions?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

Follow this guide to breadboard your system and see if you can't get it to boot that way.