Computer died? USB cable hit lamp and shorted?

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
So, my mother's computer had an issue and I wasn't there when it happened, so I have to rely on her story...dear god. :)

Anyhow, a USB cable was connected to the computer and when she moved it, it hit a lamp base and the computer made a popping noise and turned off....and left a burn mark on the usb cable. Clearly the computer doesn't turn on now. I am trying to trouble shoot what is fried, how best should I go about that? PSU, mobo...cpu, ram?

There is a light on the mobo that turns green when I plug in the PSU. No start up if I push the power button.

I can't give any other clues other than that at this point.

Any ideas?

Solution
unplug the 24 and 4/8 pin cable on the power supply. on the 24 pin cable look for a green wire. with the power supply off and unplugged use a paper clip and jumper the green wire to a black one. plug power into the power supply see if the fan on the power supply turns on. if it does with a volt meter check all the outputs. (black are grounds) colored will be 3.3 5v and 12v. if the power supply does not come on...try a test unit. before you do this does any thing power on..keyboard..cpu fans?? have you tried clearing the cmos??? have you looked/smelled the mb for melted chips. is the pc under warranty or out. a local shop if the mb not posting should have a post it card to see if the mb is posting. if there no post and the pc is an old...

R0GG

Distinguished
- I would disconnect all peripherals from motherboard and PSU (display cable, graphic card front I/O connectors, hard and optical drives cables etc) and leave mobo with CPU/CPU fan and memory only attached to Power supply, and try powering motherboard on by shorting 2pin power on at the front I/O connector (the one that attaches to power button on the case), then go from there if good outcome.

unplug the 24 and 4/8 pin cable on the power supply. on the 24 pin cable look for a green wire. with the power supply off and unplugged use a paper clip and jumper the green wire to a black one. plug power into the power supply see if the fan on the power supply turns on. if it does with a volt meter check all the outputs. (black are grounds) colored will be 3.3 5v and 12v. if the power supply does not come on...try a test unit. before you do this does any thing power on..keyboard..cpu fans?? have you tried clearing the cmos??? have you looked/smelled the mb for melted chips. is the pc under warranty or out. a local shop if the mb not posting should have a post it card to see if the mb is posting. if there no post and the pc is an old one...xp or windows 7 and low ram unit. to safe mom money have them put the hard drive in an ext excloser. and pick up a few large usb stick to back up her files. then buy a new pc.

Solution