[SOLVED] Computer Dies Randomly

callumks2003

Prominent
Jan 11, 2019
Hiya Guys! I'm moderately experienced at PC building but I'm stuck with this one. Basically my computer just turns off randomly across multiple games. First my monitor loses signal but I can still speak to people in discord. Then my computer dies.
Things I have tried:
Different monitor
Different HDMI cable
replaced GPU (RX580)with identical but new GPU(RX580)
replaced GPU(RX580) with different GPU (GTX1050)
Replaced PSU (VS550) with different PSU(VS450)
Its not overheating checked on HW and Speccy
Cleared CMOS
Cleaned Ram
Updated all my drivers

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700
MSI B450
RX580 8GB
200GB SSD(Windows) 2TB HDD
Two 8GB sticks of HyperX fury
Corsair VS550
When using the GTX 1050 the problem stops but otherwise literally nothing has worked and my PC still randomly turns off with a BRAND NEW RX580!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm stumped!

callumks2003

Prominent
Jan 11, 2019
It's not a compatibility issue...
The best way to put it: The VS550 is a unit intended for home/office systems, not systems with gaming gpus. It's ok with low power cards, but you stepped it up a notch going from a GTX 1050 to a RX 580.
Oh ok thank you so much. What PSU would you recommend for my system?

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
So what exactly is the problem here? Is the PSU being used isn't suitable enough? I thought it was an internal motherboard problem due to it shutting off randomly.

Edit:
Oh, I see now. The VS550 has the minimum wattage his specs need, and it's only 80 Plus White rated. Bronze and above is needed. But how does that explain the random shutdowns?

Reactions: callumks2003

callumks2003

Prominent
Jan 11, 2019
So what exactly is the problem here? Is the PSU being used isn't suitable enough? I thought it was an internal motherboard problem due to it shutting off randomly.

Edit:
Oh, I see now. The VS550 has the minimum wattage his specs need, and it's only 80 Plus White rated. Bronze and above is needed. But how does that explain the random shutdowns?
I'm guessing its because my PSU cant deal with the power draw or its overheating but im not sure.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This really needs someone more versed in power supplies to break it down. All I can tell you:
-Dated platform. Power saving, or performance enhancing features on newer hardware will prove troublesome for it.

-Internal hardware quality.
That unit isn't exactly a 'sleeper'. One example is the 'Cheapo-Teapo' caps in there, which don't have a very high temperature tolerance, and if you're regularly giving the psu a hard time, you can expect it to give up before the warranty expires.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
This really needs someone more versed in power supplies to break it down. All I can tell you:
-Dated platform. Power saving, or performance enhancing features on newer hardware will prove troublesome for it.

-Internal hardware quality.
That unit isn't exactly a 'sleeper'. One example is the 'Cheapo-Teapo' caps in there, which don't have a very high temperature tolerance, and if you're regularly giving the psu a hard time, you can expect it to give up before the warranty expires.
Yeah, you should bring it into the Power Supplies section. That should help.