Question Computer disconnects from internet when I'm gaming online ?

May 15, 2024
Every time I play an online game, my computer will disconnect from the internet. it lasts for like 10 seconds, then comes back but kicks me off any game I'm on. It doesn't happen while I use a browser, watch YouTube, ETC. I've tried restarting the router and computer. It happens with both ethernet and WiFi, and no other device has this issue. Please help me.

Could be you are getting packet loss. Games unlike most other applications are real time data. Things like youtube use buffers to hide the retransmission of data. If the real outage is actually 10 second though you would see that in any application but it may just be that the game is taking time to reset.

I would open a cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 while you play the game. Sometime it will not show errors if you run just the ping command it needs a little traffic to cause the error.

If you see loss I would call your ISP. You want to run the test on ethernet so the ISP does not try to correctly blame the wifi as the possible cause. Although loss might be inside your house it is much more common to be in the wiring between your house and the first ISP equipment.

May 15, 2024
Could be you are getting packet loss. Games unlike most other applications are real time data. Things like youtube use buffers to hide the retransmission of data. If the real outage is actually 10 second though you would see that in any application but it may just be that the game is taking time to reset.

I would open a cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 while you play the game. Sometime it will not show errors if you run just the ping command it needs a little traffic to cause the error.

If you see loss I would call your ISP. You want to run the test on ethernet so the ISP does not try to correctly blame the wifi as the possible cause. Although loss might be inside your house it is much more common to be in the wiring between your house and the first ISP equ
Thank you for the reply! How do i tun that on my computer i'm sorry i'm not the best with computers.

May 15, 2024
There might be youtube

It is a command you type into what looks like the old dos window.

Ping 8.8.8.8 -t
ok so it stays connected while running that command.
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 3236, Received = 3236, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 64ms, Average = 18ms
I'm pinging my ip next idk if that'll help.

bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
Reply from my IP: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from my IP: Destination host unreachable.
Packets: Sent = 2667, Received = 2660, Lost = 7 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I flushed my DNS and reset my IP to see if that helps.
It did not help.

Last edited:
That message generally means the ethernet port went down. Most times it would be a bad ethernet cable but it could be that the router rebooted even though that is rare.

Do you have another device that you could run ping from to see if that is also affected.

It looks like this does not happen very often since you have many thousands of ping packets that worked so it might be tricky to find.

Reactions: darezanny
May 15, 2024
That message generally means the ethernet port went down. Most times it would be a bad ethernet cable but it could be that the router rebooted even though that is rare.

Do you have another device that you could run ping from to see if that is also affected.

It looks like this does not happen very often since you have many thousands of ping packets that worked so it might be tricky to find.
well it happens even when im on wifi. none of my other devices stop working including my xbox. When i called my internet provider the automated bot said my router needed reset and it reset it, however that didnt work so i called again 30 min later and it said it needed reset again. after what i posted about the ping, i tried pinging 8.8.8.8 again and it wouldnt connect for a good couple minute and then would say "My IP": destination host unreachable. When i unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in usually works but sometimes not, same with when the wifi does it.