Computer does not always boot

Denzern

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Hi, i have a 2013 acer aspire xc600 which has been difficult to power on lately. It will power on with lights and fans running but no beep or boot. It seems like its random whenever i get it to boot, today i bought a new cmos battery and it didnt make any difference. I used speccy to determin the voltage and i got some very odd numbers. (i also used HWinfo program and got the same numbers)

Link to pictures of speccy:

http://pasteboard.co/tXWhVbotJ.png

http://pasteboard.co/tXWJce7c3.png

I have been googling like a crazy person but i cant wrap my head around the weird booting. If the numbers are correct the computer should never have bootet with 3v instead of +12v.

Thanks for trying for figure this out with me.

Solution
Some pre-built computer companies use non-standard parts so you have to buy from them. Dell was notorious for this. I'm not sure about Acer. So before you buy a PSU research whether it has ATX standard mounting holes, cables, and connectors.

Lutfij

Titan
It's possible that in the 3 years since the PSU's quality has decided to give up on random occasions. You may want to read through this thread as well. Judging from the motherboard images,
DB.SKQCN.004.jpg

you could have an aftermarket PSU power the board and see if it operates without an issue, if so then the culprit is the older PSU.

You are right. It wouldn't boot at all if the 12V power was at 3.3V. Disk drives use 12V so they wouldn't even spin up. I suspect Acer uses some non-standard power reporting and that is why Speccy is not showing it correctly.

The first thing to do is disassemble the components and clean everything with 90% alcohol. Unseat and reseat all cables also. While you have it apart blow out any dust, etc with canned air. Then plug everything back in and try it again.

If you're new to this, use your phone to take photos before you take it apart so you can get everything reassembled properly.

Denzern

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Thank you, guys!
I will try to disassemble and clean the components today. I have been putting my computer to sleep everytime im done using it, that way i face no trouble what so ever since the only problem is powering on. Besides i dont see any difference on perfomance, if the computer didnt get enough voltage it would perform slower or not at all wouldnt it?

In case the power supply is broken, which is likely, where can i find a power supply that will fit the case?
Maybe i just have to mod a new psu outside the case..

Some pre-built computer companies use non-standard parts so you have to buy from them. Dell was notorious for this. I'm not sure about Acer. So before you buy a PSU research whether it has ATX standard mounting holes, cables, and connectors.

Solution

Denzern

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for the heads up! Cleaning the computer didnt make any difference, i will be ordering a psu from ebay, hoping that will solve it.

Thanks again