Question Computer does not boot after new mobo installation

Sep 14, 2020
Hi all! I have built a PC some time ago, now I bought a new mobo(msi z170a mpower gaming) and I installed all my components there. Any of them has changed.

I have inserted my 3 RAM sticks on the corresponding slots, and the PC did not boot. Looking at the debug led I saw that the problem was the RAM.

After several tries, I found out that if there was only a stick placed on B1 DIMM, it worked well. But in the mlment I add more RAM, it doesn't POST again.

I have tried to clear the CMOS, updated the BIOS, loose the cpu cooler... what can be wrong with RAM?

Thanks in advance

Sep 14, 2020
Are all the ram sticks the same brand and speed? Because crossing brands can cause issues.

Hi. Two of them are same, brand and freq. They were bought in a pack. But the third one is different. I have already tried using only the two sticks that were bought in a pack but the result was the same

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
After several tries, I found out that if there was only a stick placed on B1 DIMM, it worked well. But in the mlment I add more RAM, it doesn't POST again.

I have tried to clear the CMOS, updated the BIOS, loose the cpu cooler... what can be wrong with RAM?
As far as i know the "main" RAM slots for the Z170 are slots 2&4 did you try that? try both of the same brand rams on slots 2&4 if that works try the off brand one solo, if that works too try slot 2&4 with brand and slot 3 with off brand

Sep 14, 2020
Can you boot with any 1 ram stick or does only one specific ram stick work? Also, does it work on any 1 ram slot or does only one specific slot work?
Any of my ram sticks works if I use the 3th slot. But just putting one. For instance, if I install one stick on the 3th slot, it works fine. But if I install a stick on the 1st slot and one on the third slot, it doesn't work

Sep 14, 2020
As far as i know the "main" RAM slots for the Z170 are slots 2&4 did you try that? try both of the same brand rams on slots 2&4 if that works try the off brand one solo, if that works too try slot 2&4 with brand and slot 3 with off brand
Sure you are right. The main slots are 2 and 4. Any combination of two sticks works. I tried using just the ones which de same brand but the problem was still there.