Computer does not boot, even POST does not execute

MasoudA

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Hi,

I had some problems with booting windows for last weeks. I needed to select boot device every time to boot Windows. Resetting several times to default values didn't helped so as reinstalling different versions of Windows on primary and secondary HDDs.

*** WHAT I DID ***
Yesterday I decided to look deeper for changes into BIOS.
For example I changed SATA mode to AHCI. Things like that.

Then when I saved changes and restarted, Everything seems to me as normal, boot devices selected properly after POST, but windows loading take a bit longer, then showed Blue Screen of Death.
By pressing reset button, everything was abnormal.

*** WHAT HAPPENS ***
I'm not hardware geek, but seems that POST will not execute properly. By pressing power button, both HDDs, DVD Drive and CPU fan and PSU fan start for less than 1 second. I mean HDDs shake, DVD Drive's LED turns green, CPU fan shakes, and there comes air from back of cpu that shows it's fan works for a second. but then it seems that computer turns off before make a beep so I can't get to the BIOS and make changes. And every 5 seconds everything repeats and repeats automatically, even after pressing PSU's button to 0 and then 1, everything repeats automatically, just if I turn it to 1 before that 5 seconds.

*** TRIED SOLUTIONS TO FIX BUT NOT USEFUL ***
I tried some methods that I knew, but nothing changed after all.

1. Changing PSU with an old 20 pin PSU.
2. Taking out CMOS battery and starting computer (nothing happened at all) and take it back and start computer (same as condition that explained.)
3. Short Circuit on jbat1 pins when computer is off.
4. Taking out HHDs, RAM, CPU Fan, CPU, DVD Drive, Speaker, Monitor, LAN Cable, USB Hub, EVERYTHING! one by one, and at last just connecting motherboard to PSU.
5. Tested a 12v socket from PSU by voltmeter, by turning on the computer, voltage goes up to 12v and gets back to 0v in less that 1 second, it doesn't stay at 12v, just tried several time by pressing power button on computer and hold buttun on voltmeter to see how voltage goes up.
6. Shaking, Looking, Touching, Reconnecting, Crying, Screaming, Running :)

*** WHAT I WANT ***
I just want to get it running again, at least get to the BIOS menu, better if I can boot Windows.
I think the problem is from mobo, but not sure.

*** SYSTEM CONFIGURATION ***
I know most of this are not required, but, ..., Here are my system configuration:

1. MOBO: MSI H61M-P25 (G3)
2. CPU: Intel G2020
3. RAM: Patriot 4GB PC3-10600 CL9
4. PSU: MEMONEX 320W
5. HDD 1: 500GB Seagate 3.5 inch SATA
6. HDD 2: 320GB Toshiba 2.5 inch SATA (From an old Sony Vaio laptop)
7. DVD Drive: Pioneer DVD+ReWritable
8. Mouse & Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100
9. No graphic cards other than same on mobo
10. OS: Tried Win8, Win 8.1, Win 10 (preview version which released in last few days, just before I broke my PC.). Last OS that I saw BSOD on was Win 10 Preview.

Thanks for reading and helping.

MasoudA

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

Thank you Dee Kay for your time to answer.

I believe PSU has no issue because I tested PSU with multimeter and All pins on SATA/4pin/24pin sockets has proper voltages.
I also tested mobo with an old 20pin PSU and I had same result. So, it sounds like PSU is ok to me.

MasoudA

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
As I mentioned, I shorted pins #15 and #16 on 24pin socket of PSU and it turned on. Then I tested all other pins of PSU with voltmeter and I saw no issue. So, is there another way to test the unit?

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
That shows that you have enough juice to run long enough to turn on the fans but under a load it fails. Unless you don't have the CPU fan plugged in, the PSU should run longer than 1 second before kicking out. Look and make sure that you don't see any obvious damage to your mobo like swollen caps, burnt, melted, or discolored areas, or scratched traces. It is possible that your CPU may have died as well. A case fan would help narrow it down more if your PSU stayed on long enough to hear beeps or to check for any red LED's. See if you can borrow another PSU long enough to try another just to check. There really isn't another way to tell if the PSU kicks off within one second when it has a any load.

MasoudA

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Thank you Dee Kay for your comment.

I see no sign of damage on mobo.

My case has no fan. The only two fans are PSU and CPU fans.

I think there is no LED on mobo. I never seen one.
I never connected case's power LED because It had a 4pin socket and mobo needs a 2pin one. I try to check manual again to find a way to connect power LED and then I come back here to tell the result.

One more thing: I just tested PSU with another mobo and that turned on properly. So maybe it's functioning properly?

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
If the PSU is good then it could be your board or CPU. I'm not sure if your setup requires a 24 pin plug or if the 20 pin plug may be the issue for some reason. Checking with MSI on their support forums may be the best bet. Others there may have ran into the same issue and could tell you what may be wrong. I would start a support ticket with them just to be sure. They should be able to tell you if the PSU you are using will work with your system or if it points to something else.

Before going to MSI you may want to go thru the checklist for no power here on Tom's just to double check.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

MasoudA

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Thanks Dee Kay.

I just tried to make 4pin case power LED connector compatible with the socket on mobo, but LED doesn't turn on. I also connected HDD LED and don't turned on either. Not sure if HDD LED turned on on this mobo before or not, but I'm pretty sure that both of them were working fine with an old mobo, years ago.

My MSI mobo has a 24 pin plug.

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
That was why I said I wasn't sure if that PSU would work with just a 20 pin connector because it may not be putting the proper voltages to the proper components. If the LED doesn't turn on it doesn't sound like the board or CPU are getting the correct power. It may be getting some power but not enough to make it run correctly. If you have a store near to you then you could get another PSU and try it on your system If it works then you know that was the problem. If it still doesn't work then I would return the PSU and look at either the board or the CPU as being bad. You could check the CPU to make sure there are no bent pins. There isn't much else you could do other than lucking out and finding someone who would let you test it on their compatible board. Contacting MSI may be your only other course and they could let you know what you needed to do next.

MasoudA

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Thanks.

Im pretty sure that psu is correct, because its 24 pin and works fine on an old 20 pin mobo. And worked fine on this mobo for a year or two. And an old 20pin psu cant start this 24 pin mobo.
Anyway, I really appreciate you for helping me, Ill ask for help on msi forums.

TRENDING THREADS