Computer does not do anything when I press the power button

PizzaPenguin

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Hello everyone. Let’s just jump right in to my issue. The gist of it is, when I press the power button, nothing happens. Here’s a bit of backstory and further explanation.

I built my computer in January and everything worked fine for a while until my PSU died, I think in April. I bought a new PSU, and it worked for a bit, but then the mother board stopped working. I started the RMA process in mid-May, and thanks to Biostar’s terrible customer service, I just received the new board today.

Anyways, I rebuilt my computer, double-checked everything, and booted on. When I press the power button, nothing happens. It’s literally like pressing the button in an empty case. No fan spinning, no lights, nothing. I reattached the front panel cable for Power SW, and tried it in multiple orientations as well, all to no avail.

The computer is plugged into a working outlet, the PSU is turned on, the 24-pin and the 4-pin power connectors are correctly plugged in to the motherboard, as well as the POWER SW connector, but when I press the button nothing happens.

What can I do to get my computer to boot? Thanks in advance!

PizzaPenguin

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

The original PSU was a 300W FSP Group Inc from an old prebuilt, and the new one is a Corsair CX430M.

System specs are:
-Intel Core i3-4130
-Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x (Motherboard)
-4GB DDR3 1600mHz RAM
-Corsair CX430M Semi-Modular Power Supply
-Silverstone PS08B Case

Running on integrated graphics.

PizzaPenguin

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
The PSU did not pass the paperclip test (it did a month ago, actually!) although I can't be for sure because I'm colorblind, and may not have put the paperclip in the green wire and the black wire, like I'm supposed to. I'll have my dad help me tomorrow, and also test the system with my brother's power supply.

We get so many people coming here with those Corsair cx units... They are junk. Trust me. Replace that thing. Get yourself a Seasonic or Antec. They both make quality power supplies. I see well over 10 times the problems with the corsair cx power supplies than I see with any other power supply.

If you do have to RMA it, save up some money, and when the new one comes in, sell it. Don't even open the box. Sell it. Add what you have saved, and buy a better power supply. You should not be having all of these problems you seem to be having. Computers are normally very stable things. But all it takes is a cheap power supply, and everything goes to crap.

PizzaPenguin

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

What's the cheapest high-quality PSU you would reccomend?

PizzaPenguin

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
I'm in the United States. BTW, I did the paper clip test again today, with my non-color blind dad, and the fan spins. Then I reinstalled it, and nothing. Could the power button be the issue?

Woody1999

Admirable

No, we concluded that wasn't the issue earlier. You really better try breadboarding.

Woody

PizzaPenguin

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
The computer works now!
Before breadboarding, I wanted to make sure the power button wasn't the issue for absolute certain, so I shorted the POWER SW pins again, and the PC booted. Then, I attached the RESET SW cable to the POWER SW pins, and now I can power on the PC with the restart button, which I don't mind at all. OS installation went smoothly, and here I am now, posting this from the very same computer that wouldn't do anything a few hours ago. Thanks for the help everyone!

TRENDING THREADS