Computer does not POST with more than 2 sticks of RAM.

Luster_x4

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Firstly, my components:

-Mobo: ASUS Z170-AR LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard

-CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz

-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2400 F4-2400C15Q-16GRR

-CPU cooler: Cryorig H7

This is a new build and I am unable to get the system to boot when there are more than 2 sticks of RAM installed.

Everything boots up fine with two sticks installed in the B1 and B2 slots, but with any RAM in the A1 or A2 slots, it does not boot up. The RAM itself seems to be okay - I've tried all 4 sticks in the B1 and B2 slots and they all work well. There are should not be any compatibility issues as well, this specific RAM is on the QVL for this Mobo.

However, when RAM is installed in the A1/A2 slots, the RAM LED on the Mobo will light up for a while, and then it turns off and the CPU LED lights up, and then the system reboots and goes through this cycle again and again.

I've updated my BIOS to the latest version, and I have flashed my BIOS by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery.

I've attempted raising the DRAM voltage from 1.2v to 1.3v.

I have also attempted to loosen and re-tighten the CPU cooler.

Does anybody know what could be the cause for this and if there is anything else I could try?

Thanks!

kjv1611

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
To test Rhinofart's question, I'd suggest pulling the motherboard and components out, and run from a nonconductible surface such as a wood desk / plastic crate / whatever you can find and trust to set it on and reach what you need. Basically setup your own test bench. The time that will be required will basically be the time to pull it out of your desktop and set it somewhere to test it.