Question Computer does not power on when graphics card is connected

Jan 18, 2020
I wasn't sure which forum to upload this to, but I figured that since the problem only started when I got a new graphics card this was the appropriate place.

I just recently upgraded my graphics card from an XFX RX 580 8gb Black Edition to an ASUS STRIX RX 580 8gb OC Edition. When I first plugged in the graphics card, however it was only controlling the LEDs on the second stick of RAM. After looking through forums for a solution, the suggested solution was to flip the sticks of RAM (stick 1 in slot 3, stick 2 in slot 1). When I did this, the computer did nothing when I powered it on. When you push the power button, there is nothing that happens except a short buzz/click noise; after a few seconds the LEDs on the ram light up, but no LEDs on the motherboard or graphics card turn on, and no fans spin or light up. I attempted reseating the ram, trying just one stick then the other, with no effect. When I tested my graphics card in a completely different computer, the graphics card worked fine.
When I tried a different graphics card in my computer (GTX 1060) my computer booted fine. I tried my graphics card on a different computer but the same power supply, and I had the same issue again. I determined that perhaps my power supply was not powerful enough (550 watts) , so I bought another one (750 watts) and I still had the same issue. I tested another graphics card (GT 710) and my computer boots.
When I have the graphics card completely removed or in the PCI-E slot but not connected to the PSU the beep code shows "Graphics Card Error" (no surprises there). When I have the graphics card completely installed (PCI-E slot + PSU 6+2 pin) or just the 6+2 cable attached to the 8pin on the graphics card, the graphics card led indicates power, but the computer does not respond when you push the power button. I would have no idea the computer had power at all if the LEDs on the RAM didn't light up. For troubleshooting I have:
-re-seated the RAM
-tested just one stick or the other in different slots
-updated the BIOS to the latest version
-cleared the CMOS by removing the battery for 5 minutes
-cleared the CMOS by shorting the CLR_CMOS pins
-reseated the graphics card
-tested new graphics card in different computer (it works)
-tested two different graphics cards (it works)
-tried new power supply
-different computer-same power supply
-removed all drives
-removed all drives but the boot drive
-downloaded latest drivers
-deleted all drivers
-tried different outputs
-unplugged all peripherals
-manually reset BIOS settings through the BIOS.

I am really confused as to why this graphics card is not working in my computer, I do not believe it is compatibility because it is basically the same card, just different manufacturers.

Current Build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU: ASUS STRIX RX 580 8gb OC Edition
RAM: Team T-Force Delta RGB 8gb (2x4)
PSU: Corsair CX750M 750 watt 80+ bronze
Case: Rosewill Spectra D100
Boot Drive: Toshiba 512gb M.2 NVME
Other Drives: PNY 128gb SSD, Western Digital 500gb 3500 RPM HDD
BIOS version: F50

Specs at time of error:
GPU: ASUS STRIX RX 580 8gb OC Edition
PSU: EVGA 550BT 550 watt 80+ bronze
BIOS version: F4

Last stable build:
GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb Black Edition
PSU: EVGA 550BT 550 watt 80+ bronze
BIOS version: F4

TLDR: My computer worked until I got a new graphics card. All components work fine, I've cross-tested across 2 other computers, 2 other graphics cards, 1 other power supply. When power is connected to GPU the computer does not boot or POST.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020
Putting it in the x4 slot yielded no results. When I put the graphics card back into the original slot, it worked. However, I just needed to go into the bios to change the time, but when I attempted to power it back on, it did the same thing: no fans, no post. Only the RGB RAM lighting up.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Putting it in the x4 slot yielded no results. When I put the graphics card back into the original slot, it worked. However, I just needed to go into the bios to change the time, but when I attempted to power it back on, it did the same thing: no fans, no post. Only the RGB RAM lighting up.
Which GPU are you referring to? Also, the system time was wrong? Did you reset the BIOS causing this to happen or did it just happen? Have you reset the BIOS at any time during all of this?

Jan 18, 2020
I attempted the new Rx580 in the x4 slot, and the system didn't respond. And yes, immediately after updating to the latest BIOS revision I cleared everything to defaults (both with clearing it in the BIOS and clearing the CMOS) which resulted in it displaying the time to be 12:00. Also, for every time that I've gone into the bios, I've thrown in a GT 730, because I have no integrated graphics and the computer doesn't power on so I never get the chance with the Rx580 installed.

Jan 18, 2020
I have now resolved to buying a new motherboard, thinking of the ASUS Strix X470-Pro. Will let you know how behavior changes with a new motherboard, I guess I shouldn't be surprised with a high-end card not working in the lowest-quality motherboard I could find at the time.

Jan 18, 2020
Installed new motherboard (Asus Prime X470-Pro) and the graphics card still did not work in my system for whatever reason, but it did still work on the other system. Perhaps there was some issue with a vertical vs horizontal mount that stops the card from working, because the system in which it works the motherboard is mounted horizontally. I've gotten a replacement graphics card, and I should be putting it in this weekend, will post an update then.