Question Computer does not start properly

Jul 23, 2019
Hello Technicians all over the World.

I have a computer with a strange problem. When I push the power button on, it starts and then stops before starting again. It stops again. Only can see the fan spinning when I open it. The fan spins a little while before stopping and then starting again before stopping. This scene keeps on repeating until I turn off or disconnect the main power supply. It cannot even load the bios. I have sent this to the computer technician for fixing. But he can't seem to fix the problem either. He kept saying it was fine after he fixed it but when I took it home, that same problem repeats itself and I have to take the unit back to the shop again.

It has happened five times already. It was working alright in the shop after he fixed it but when I brought it back home, it failed like before. Actually, the first time I managed to use it three times before that problem came back. Then I brought it to the shop for fixing. The second time, it worked once before that problem came back. The third time, it worked about five times before it shut down and died halfway. And then that problem came back. It starts like someone having a hiccup. The last time, I did not even get to use it once. The computer technician at the shop has given up already.

Does anyone know what to do about this problem? The computer technician told me three times that it had nothing to do with the power supply unit. His fellow technician supported his stand on this. BTW, the screen does not show anything being received.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jul 23, 2019
1) Did you overclock the cpu, GPU, or RAM?

2) Did you add the new hardware recently?

3) How about try to use the minimum hardware to test the PC, like use one stick RAM, onboard iGPU, only connect the boot device, etc.

1) No. Never disturb the CPU, GPU or BIOS settings to overclock the CPU. Didn't dare for fear of shortening its life and also do not know enough about overclocking the CPU.

2) No. The keyboard is the same one I used from the time I bought the unit. The mouse has been around for two years or so. The DVDROM drive has been around for a year.

3) Haven't done that. Will try that as soon as it breaks down again after I get it back from the technician's workshop.

1) No. Never disturb the CPU, GPU or BIOS settings to overclock the CPU. Didn't dare for fear of shortening its life and also do not know enough about overclocking the CPU.
Maybe check your PC to see you did or did not install the MB utility software, because the software will oc the cpu automatically when the pc boot up.

Or check your boot device to see it is connected to the 1st SATA port or not, assuming you did use the SATA SSD/HDD for the boot device.

Reactions: magician32
Jul 23, 2019
Maybe check your PC to see you did or did not install the MB utility software, because the software will oc the cpu automatically when the pc boot up.

Or check your boot device to see it is connected to the 1st SATA port or not, assuming you did use the SATA SSD/HDD for the boot device.

Does the MB utility software install into the HDD? Because it goes into the restart cycle like a hiccup before even loading the BIOS. As for the second one, I will get a look at it as soon as I get it back from the workshop. I should have asked you first before sending that CPU unit to the workshop. At that time, I just wanted to see it fixed and working again. Did not consider that the technician might not be able to fix it.

Yunn

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Like cin19 said, try taking out all RAM sticks and put back in just one. Power cycling have almost always been a problem that is related to RAM for me. I had a family member who was also power cycling about to send his CPU to a technician like you, but consulted me and all I did was reseat the RAM sticks and it has been working fine for the past 2years.

I also suggest using an air duster on the RAM and nearby areas of the motherboard, dust build up do cause weird problems

Reactions: magician32
Jul 23, 2019
Like cin19 said, try taking out all RAM sticks and put back in just one. Power cycling have almost always been a problem that is related to RAM for me. I had a family member who was also power cycling about to send his CPU to a technician like you, but consulted me and all I did was reseat the RAM sticks and it has been working fine for the past 2years.

I also suggest using an air duster on the RAM and nearby areas of the motherboard, dust build up do cause weird problems

So dust can actually do that. I wished I had asked you all first before sending it to the technician after it broke down that time.