Computer does not work if both wireless and cableLAN enabled

oshi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Hi!

I have been facing problems with connectivity. I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook and I have installed a Linksys G Notebook adapter. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition (and I think it is Service Pack 2).

When both my wireless and cable LAN are enabled, my wireless works fine, but when i plug in a network cable, i get the following message 'limited or no connectivity'.

Stragely, if i disable the wireless adapter, and reboot my computer, the cable LAN seems to work ok.

Also if I try to disable my wireless card and immediately enable my cable LAN, my computer shuts off and gives me an error message.

I am not sure if I have been coherent but please attribute that to the fact that this problem has been driving me crazy for the past few days and I dont know what to do. I would really appreciate any kind of help! thanks!!!

oshi

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I had a similar problem.

Look at the port properties. I had some services that was installed with the lan that was causing a conflict.

The only services needed are Clinet for MS Network and Internet Protocol TCP/IP, If you need QoS add it. MS HAS pushed another one down called Deterministic Network enhancer, not required (def is checked but not installed).

You wil need to check each port.

oshi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks so much. I checked both ports. I only have the services you mentioned, i.e. client for MS network, internet protocol TCP/IP and QOS. there is nothing more. the problem still persists!

oshi

oshi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
sorry, i think i did not put that correctly. i am not sure what services mean.

i just meant that i checked the properties of both the wireless and the cable LAN and they have three things listed:
client for MS network
internet protocol TCP/IP
QOS

and all three are checked.

thanks!

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I understand that, but I was tring to understand how your setup is.

You said you have a 11g card,
cable modem connected via cat5.

I couldn't figure the 3rd source?
where is the 3rd (2nd) lan coming from?

oshi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
hi!

i am sorry i am being so unclear.

there are only 2 sources

1) wireless LAN (i.e. wireless G notebook adapter - Linksys)
2) cable LAN

and that is all.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I can have 3 sources connected at once. Lan, USR 11g & Builtin ralink 11g. I only use drivers only None of their utilities. With USR and ralink connecting to the same AP.

Try droping off (un check) QoS for now, if installed. on both ports. Will proably have not impact because it's has not been installed. (default is checked but not installed)

It has to be a driver issue. If I had to guess it is Linksys 11g.

Check to see if you are using the latest drivers for the 11g and download a older version too. A lot of times they break something with new versions.

Then run MS update but do custom to see if there are drivers update for any of you hardware.

I'm like you it is puzzeling. Another thing to look at is MS Firewall or any firewall that you may be using.