Computer does nothing when push power button. PSU paper clip test says the PSU is fine. What do I do now?

JSmurfington

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
I have an MSI b150 motherboard, and an evga 550 g2 PSU.

My computer was working fine, then I left my house for 5 days. When I returned and pushed the power button, nothing happens. I took out the PSU and tested with the paperclip test, and I can hear the fans running in the PSU. I tried shorting the two pins for the power switch, nothing happens. Is it the motherboard? I'm not sure why it happened when I was gone. It's on a surge protector.

What can I try before I start spending lots of money buying random components to try to fix it?

Sorry but if you are sure everything is connected properly, next step would be MB. The way you tested it, it must show some signs of life even if some other components are no good. If you have a GPU, try without it. Best if you would take everything from the case and assemble part by part on a desk.
Just MB + CPU + PSU should show some signs of life, like a light or a fan at least twitching.

JSmurfington

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

Well, I got a new motherboard and it worked! Reassembled everything outside of the case and it turned on just fine. I had to do some extra troubleshooting to get it to work (for some reason had to swap ram sticks to get it to post), but now it is like nothing ever happened. Used a slightly different mobo but by computer doesn't seem to know the difference.

Thanks!

Akai_21

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Hey we have same problem did you try the screw driver to open your board?
What i did was remove everything in the mother board and put re seat Cpu (with fan) and memory Only if not spinning then there is something wrong in the board. I use screw driver to the power pin and it worked.