[SOLVED] Computer does start but screen stays black - Faulty Motherboard?

Feb 24, 2020
Hello Community,

my first post here :)
I hope you guys can help me out. (I'm from Germany, so please bear with me)

So it all started Saturday.

I changed a setting in the BIOS Menu (changed the boot order of different OS), clicked on save & restart.
Computer did the restart and of course the screen stayed black.

I tried to reset the Motherboard (put out the Battery, changed the Jumper, hold the Power button for 2 minutes, also tried to let the Battery out for a couple of hours).
Nothing happend, it stayed black.

So i tried the 'zero method' (that's at least how they call it in German Forums).
I put everything out exept: CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply (also of course let the Power Supply connected with Board & CPU, PINs connected to the casing, so that i can turn everything on)

I don't have a Board Speaker, but i used the Power LED from the casing (read that i can use a casing LED aswell) (hope i did it correct, i put + / - on both the last sides of the Motherboard Speaker Connector)

As soon as i started the Computer with CPU, Board and Supply = 3 times flashing
After that i added the 2x DDR 8 GB RAM Memory to the Board = No flashing
I put both RAM Memory out and used one of the two in the single board (looked in the manual on which slot i had to put them) = No flashing
I put in the GPU and let the RAM out = 3 times flashing
Put in a different GPU and let the RAM out = 3 times flashing
Put in one of the two GPU at a time with the RAM = No flashing

I also tried to connect the montior via Display Port cable: still black screen.

Tried a different device on the monitor to see, if the monitor works = monitor works without a problem

I really don't know on what to do anymore.
I can't get the system back to working.

I ordered a new Power Supply from Amazon (same one as currently installed) that arrives tomorrow to see, if that works.

My Hardware is the following:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @3.40 GHz
GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8 GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-1600
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x
Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro Gamer

I really don't know, what to do anymore.
From what i see so far it must be either the Motherboard or the RAM.
Am i correct?

I can see, that the computer doesn't boot into any OS without me noticing, cause i have a Logitech Gaming Mouse/Keyboard with RGB and usually, as soon as it boots any OS, the RGB starts flashing till the OS is booted up and loads the Logitech Gaming Software to put my Settings on both of it.

I hope you guys can help me out or give me any advice.
A different power supply (as i said) comes tomorrow.
If that doesn't work, i really don't know what do to.

Thanks already for the answers :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
I changed the setting in BIOS, in which order the different OS installed boot.
I put in an old Nvidia GPU for testing reason to see if the GPU is faulty (tested that GPU two years ago in the Computer and worked without problem)

Solution
Feb 24, 2020
Get back into the BIOS?

I see nothing on the screen.
I think you don't understand me.

I got a new Corsair Power Supply yesterday (same model but brand new), tested it and nothing happend again.
Screen stayed black.

Mar 14, 2020
Hello Community,

my first post here :)
I hope you guys can help me out. (I'm from Germany, so please bear with me)

So it all started Saturday.

I changed a setting in the BIOS Menu (changed the boot order of different OS), clicked on save & restart.
Computer did the restart and of course the screen stayed black.

I tried to reset the Motherboard (put out the Battery, changed the Jumper, hold the Power button for 2 minutes, also tried to let the Battery out for a couple of hours).
Nothing happend, it stayed black.

So i tried the 'zero method' (that's at least how they call it in German Forums).
I put everything out exept: CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply (also of course let the Power Supply connected with Board & CPU, PINs connected to the casing, so that i can turn everything on)

I don't have a Board Speaker, but i used the Power LED from the casing (read that i can use a casing LED aswell) (hope i did it correct, i put + / - on both the last sides of the Motherboard Speaker Connector)

As soon as i started the Computer with CPU, Board and Supply = 3 times flashing
After that i added the 2x DDR 8 GB RAM Memory to the Board = No flashing
I put both RAM Memory out and used one of the two in the single board (looked in the manual on which slot i had to put them) = No flashing
I put in the GPU and let the RAM out = 3 times flashing
Put in a different GPU and let the RAM out = 3 times flashing
Put in one of the two GPU at a time with the RAM = No flashing

I also tried to connect the montior via Display Port cable: still black screen.

Tried a different device on the monitor to see, if the monitor works = monitor works without a problem

I really don't know on what to do anymore.
I can't get the system back to working.

I ordered a new Power Supply from Amazon (same one as currently installed) that arrives tomorrow to see, if that works.

My Hardware is the following:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @3.40 GHz
GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8 GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-1600
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x
Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro Gamer

I really don't know, what to do anymore.
From what i see so far it must be either the Motherboard or the RAM.
Am i correct?

I can see, that the computer doesn't boot into any OS without me noticing, cause i have a Logitech Gaming Mouse/Keyboard with RGB and usually, as soon as it boots any OS, the RGB starts flashing till the OS is booted up and loads the Logitech Gaming Software to put my Settings on both of it.

I hope you guys can help me out or give me any advice.
A different power supply (as i said) comes tomorrow.
If that doesn't work, i really don't know what do to.

Thanks already for the answers :)
I have the same problems, but if you find a solution will you tell me. Please.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
You don't have to see anything.
Start hitting Delete as soon as you turn on PC and see if the BIOS will show up. If that Sapphire needs a 750 Watt PS I would put the old Nvidia card back in (or something if possible) and try the BIOS again.

Last edited: