Apr 15, 2020
Hi, (I apologize for my bad englisch) I wanted to upgrade my CPU so I bought a i5-3470, when I put it on the motherboard I only get 4 short beep sounds. I thought that the new CPU had issues so I put the old one back and now I have a constant beep with this one, it is a i5-2310. The motherboard is from a Acer AX3960 computer and some other components that I have are the power supply 650W from GameMax, GTX 760 from Zotac, 1 Tb Seagate HDD, 10 Gb ram (4 Gb Hyperx and 6Gb Kingstone, all are DDR3 1333Hz). So far I tried putting the new CPU on the motherboard and reset the CMOS by removing the battery, re-plug the RAM one by one, re-plug the Gpu and the Hard drive but nothing works. The old CPU that previously worked without any problems now doesn´t work either, I also tried to solve the problem with the same steps as before but it didn´t work. Does anybody know how to fix it? The computer turns on but I don´t get any image, so I can´t make changes in the BIOS.

Solution
I just checked the old CPU again and the Socket and I couldn´t find any bent pins, also I didn´t change anything in the Bios, the cables are al plugged in correctly. I now tried again to turn on the pc, there is no beep now but I get no image.

First thing I'd do is clearing the CMOS... this can be done by pulling out the CMOS battery(power chord unplugged) for 15-20 minutes and then just pop it back in.

If that doesn't work...
Have you tried reseating your memory modules?

Also try running with one RAM module at a yime to see if that changes anything.
Apr 15, 2020
It Could be that the motherboard wont surrport 3rd Gen CPU trying to find the motherboard on google with that desktop!
I thought the same thing so I put the i5-2310 back in, this was the cpu included with the motherboard and it worked fine until this afternoon when I changed the cpu to the third gen. cpu. I now have the 2310 on the motherboard but I only get this constant beep. Besides the CPU I didn´t change any hardware.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I would check the old CPU for any bent pins and make sure all your cables are plugged in as something might have come loose when you were replacing it.
The old one, in theory, should be completely plug and play.
A possibility is you might have bricked the board if you didn't do your bios update correctly, which should have been a cause for concern when you were unable to find a bios update for that(new) CPU for your mobo. Hopefully this isn't the case.
Another possibility is a static discharge could have damaged something in the CPU socket or around it. Again hopefully this isn't the case.

Apr 15, 2020
I would check the old CPU for any bent pins and make sure all your cables are plugged in as something might have come loose when you were replacing it.
The old one, in theory, should be completely plug and play.
A possibility is you might have bricked the board if you didn't do your bios update correctly, which should have been a cause for concern when you were unable to find a bios update for that(new) CPU for your mobo. Hopefully this isn't the case.
Another possibility is a static discharge could have damaged something in the CPU socket or around it. Again hopefully this isn't the case.

I just checked the old CPU again and the Socket and I couldn´t find any bent pins, also I didn´t change anything in the Bios, the cables are al plugged in correctly. I now tried again to turn on the pc, there is no beep now but I get no image.

First thing I'd do is clearing the CMOS... this can be done by pulling out the CMOS battery(power chord unplugged) for 15-20 minutes and then just pop it back in.

If that doesn't work...
Have you tried reseating your memory modules?

Also try running with one RAM module at a yime to see if that changes anything.

Solution
Put the old CPU back in, leave the graphics card out for now and use integrated graphics. Do a BIOS reset and see if the computer will come up.

As far as the new CPU, the new one is 3rd gen, the old one is 2nd gen. Unless you have some reference stating that the newer generation will work on that motherboard, there is no guarantee that it will.