Question Computer Doesn’t Turn On

Mar 3, 2021
Hey there, oh boy where do I start?

So I ordered a new CPU, figured it was time for an upgrade. I was upgrading from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a AMD Ryzen 7 5800x. I didn’t realize I needed a BIOS update, so I went right ahead and installed the new cpu, plugged everything in and the monitor had no signal. At this point the computer WAS still turning on. Read up on it a little, then realized my mistake. I took out the CMOS battery, waited some time and reinstalled that, nothing. Reinstalled the old cpu, nothing on the monitor. At this point I started getting frustrated. After one final attempt, it no longer powered up. The power button did nothing. I freaked out considering this has never happened to me before. So I did the PSU paperclip test, worked perfectly. My MB has lights when it’s plugged into the PSU and those were on so, and correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think it’s the motherboard. I’m beginning to think it may be the actual power button but I’m not too sure. Any help would be very appreciated :)
Also let me know if there is any additional information needed. It’s a pre-built, but I know the parts.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With all things said and done, can you mention the make and model of your motherboard? Also, were you on the latest BIOS update prior to dropping in the Ryzen 7 5800x? Paperclip tests don't say much about your PSU, why? Simple. The test asks you to put a load on the PSU which can be a fan or even a dead HDD, that's just to simulate a load. That test doesn't say how much power the PSU can effectively output to the entire system at any given time.

You should list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If it's the power button, you can breadboard the platform and use a screwdriver to short the + and - pins on the front panel, labelled on your motherboard's PCB.

Mar 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With all things said and done, can you mention the make and model of your motherboard? Also, were you on the latest BIOS update prior to dropping in the Ryzen 7 5800x? Paperclip tests don't say much about your PSU, why? Simple. The test asks you to put a load on the PSU which can be a fan or even a dead HDD, that's just to simulate a load. That test doesn't say how much power the PSU can effectively output to the entire system at any given time.

You should list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If it's the power button, you can breadboard the platform and use a screwdriver to short the + and - pins on the front panel, labelled on your motherboard's PCB.

Here are all the parts, the link I gave for the Chassis is the closest I could get. I decided to breadboard the pins like you said with a flathead screwdriver and nothing. You think maybe I fried the board when installing the new CPU? Or maybe that can’t happen, I’m a bit of a dumby when it comes to all this so apologies in advance. A bright orange light is on the board, but I believe that’s just to signal that it is getting power. Couldn’t get the SSD/HDD as of this moment, however, if it’s of use I can take a look a little later. Thank you helping it means a lot!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600(Old) AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (New)
Motherboard: Prime B450M-A
RAM: 16 G ( 4 x 4 )
SSD/HDD:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G
PSU: 600 W
Chassis: Prebuilt - https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc...EubjBx334gfAEAQYAyABEgKWvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Mar 3, 2021
Update: Did some looking around and the CPU pins were bending, I assume preventing a boot. I used some tweezers and got it back into place and the PC boots again! However, no day goes by without trouble and I have a no signal on my monitor. Any sort of help? The cable is brand new, like literally I went out and bought it an hour ago, so I assume it’s not that. I tried a different video card and still no signal. Tried just a single RAM stick after cleaning the stick itself and the slot, and nothing. Any ideas?