Question Computer doesn't boot unless I reset CMOS (only way to get to BIOS) and manually select boot drive

drogen24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
I updated my BIOS the other day and since then, my computer doesn't boot on it's own.
When I turn on the power, I am greeted with a black screen and no power to mouse or keyboard. In order to get the computer to boot, I have to reset the CMOS which will allow me to enter the BIOS and then manually select the boot drive. As I have to reset the CMOS every time, any changes I make in the BIOS to try to fix this are reset each time anyway, but that's irrelevant as none of them have worked until now.
I don't have a speaker on the board so can't be certain if it's posting or not but I suspect the latter. Q-LED on the board had the boot light constantly green when this first started but that doesn't happen during my new boot routine.

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490-A
CPU: i5-10600K, I was using AI overclock feature from the board
RAM: 2x 8GB 2133 DDR4, 2x 4GB 2600 DDR4
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
SSD: Sabrent 2TB NVMe
PSU: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550W

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
CoolerMaster is the brand of the PSU while 550W is the wattage. You will need to state the model(series) of the PSU from which the unit comes from. As for the BIOS, did you try and reflash the BIOS to rule out a mishap in the flash/update process? It's one these scenario's where you're going to need a POST code speaker. How old is the PSU in your build? Why do you have two mismatched skits of ram in your build? You're advised to work with a matched set...much like you would with a pair of shoes.

drogen24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
I've updated with the PSU model.
Yeah I tried reflashing the the next newest version too as the first one I used was days old, still no luck.
PSU is almost brand new
2 mismatched kits as I thought I already had 2600 when I bought the second kit