Computer doesn't boot with more than 2 sticks of ram!

danny148

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hey guys, So I just bought myself a new motherboard (GA-B85M-DH3-A) and I tried to install the previous ram that I had, but the computer will not boot when there is ram in the DDR3_2/DDR3_4 slots. The ram is K531R8-HYA.

I'm hoping someone can help me!

Solution
Hello... Wet a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and Clean The RAM stick Gold contacts... also re-insert them a few times into the MB for good contact there... there are a lot of very small connections that need to be made and maintained.
Hello... You need to have the BIO's re-read your memory locations any time you move mem sticks around... get you sticks where you want them after the CMOS clear and before Boot.

Let's try a proper "battery removal" AND CMOS reset Clear to the MB ...ok? B /
Take your time here and be slow and careful to your MB... look in your MB manual/Pdf for pictures and location of the SW/pins. B )
1) un-plug PS from wall.
2) remove MB battery
3) place jumper pins/switch on MB to clear the capacitors... for ~3 mins
4) remove Jumper/switch
5) re-install battery
6) plug monitor into the MB video output OR Video card for a BOOT display, And set your monitor for that cable input.
7) get you RAM sticks where you want them
8) plug in PS to wall
9) Boot computer.

danny148

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

I'll try this out!

The last motherboard it worked in was a Dell motherboard, so I'm thinking (and hoping) that's why it doesn't work on my new motherboard. And yeah it still has warranty, I only got it yesterday night.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
because you didn't explain clearly, do you already have 2 other RAM sticks in 1 and 2 installed and try to install those other 2 you got from your previous mobo in 3 and 4? If you do obviously those RAM don't work together with the other 2.

If not, does your computer boot when you install the RAM in 1 and 2 slots?

danny148

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

I have 4 sticks of ram from my previous Dell motherboard. 2 of the sticks are in DDR3_1/DDR3_3 ram slots, but as soon as a ram stick is in the other 2 slots, I'm just on a constant restart loop.

danny148

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

Yes I did. I managed to pin the problem down to the DD3_2 ram slot, now I need to figure out whether it's faulty or my ram is playing up.

danny148

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

I will try that after work tomorrow. Can I use nail polish remover as well?