Question Computer doesn't post nor beep with ram in, without ram it does beep.

Antonio Bottelier

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I am building a budget gaming PC for my sister, and to save on costs I bought a used CPU and used RAM, the rest of the components are hand-me-downs or bought entirely new.

When turning on the computer with all necessary components in (CPU,RAM,GPU) the fans start spinning but nothing else happens. It doesn't post nor give me any beeps for debugging it. When taking out the ram though, the computer does start beeping. This leads me to assume that at least the mobo is not broken, and that it's just the CPU that is broken.

These are the specs of the computer:
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 950
MOBO: Asus Prime 320M-K
RAM: HyperX Fury black HX432C16FB3K2/8 (3200Mhz, 8GB)
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze 450 V2
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970

I have followed the No Post Guide on here, and it didn't seem to help unfortunately. I have also tried replacing components that I know work;
- I used the ram from my computer, unfortunately these ram sticks are both 3200Mhz, it should not pose an issue as it should just underclock but the MOBO does not support 3200Mhz if there is an Athlon cpu inserted. No ram makes the computer beep.
  • I used a different GPU. I know both work, but just cause.
  • I switched the PSU, the same happens with other power supplies.
  • I have already refitted the cpu, but it still does the same. (just to be sure)

Could the motherboard still be faulty? I at least assume it is not, because it is still beeping when I pull out the memory sticks.
I don't know enough about computers to make an educated guess, and money is tight because of this corona situation so I can't go out and randomly buy or send back components either.
Anyone have a guess for what the issue could be?

Antonio Bottelier

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Hi, sorry for bumping the thread. But I would like a second opinion on this matter before actually going out and buying a new ram stick. Shouldn't the memory just be underclocked when running with the Athlon X4 950, or will it actually not run at all?