[SOLVED] Computer doesn't POST ?

Nov 22, 2021
I'm at the end of my tether on this. Recently my motherboard died and so I have replaced my motherboard, CPU and RAM with second hand parts from a mate. These parts were in working order when last used a year ago.

Having installed everything I am now attempting to boot up the system. The fans all start and lights switch on, but the machine doesn't POST. I have no error message beeps either. It will then restart after about thirty seconds to the same result.

Known specs are:

MB: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3
CPU: Intel i5 of unknown model EDIT: i5 6600k
GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 290X
RAM: 1xKingston KVR32N22S8/8 8GB 3200
PSU: corsair tx750m 750w

The PSU has been checked by a professional and isn't at fault. CMOS battery has been replaced even though it was very unlikely to be the culprit.

Here's where it gets strange. In a burst of inspiration I decided to get the old RAM checked. Sure enough it was dead as a doornail and the test PC operated very similarly to mine. I have replaced the RAM with the one listed above... But the issue persists.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it a dead mother board?

Last edited:
Solution
Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 does not have a Qcode nor LEDs for trouble shooting so the only way to determine what is causing your issue is to install a MB speaker. Listed on page 17 in your MB manual for your pin assignments.

The speaker will report system startup status. If system has past post then a single beep would be heard. Other beeps would be heard depending on the error and type of Bios.

You have a single RAM module so test in each ram slot for single channel mode as the manual does not define single channel mode slot.

To have dual channel mode a kit (2x8) is required to occupy slots as configured on page 11 in your manual.

Note: You have a DDR4 module so configure as per note (1) as DDR3 is different (2)
Nov 22, 2021
"CPU: Intel i5 of unknown model"

So how do you know that the CPU is supported by that motherboard, or that a BIOS update isn't required ?

Yeah sorry, I should have elaborated there. The CPU is the same as my mate was using in the motherboard before he upgraded his system, it came already properly installed. I can crack off the CPU cooler and double check the model, but it's a push pin coolerwith easily bent pins that's not easy to install

Edit: it's an Intel i5-6600k

Last edited:
Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 does not have a Qcode nor LEDs for trouble shooting so the only way to determine what is causing your issue is to install a MB speaker. Listed on page 17 in your MB manual for your pin assignments.

The speaker will report system startup status. If system has past post then a single beep would be heard. Other beeps would be heard depending on the error and type of Bios.

You have a single RAM module so test in each ram slot for single channel mode as the manual does not define single channel mode slot.

To have dual channel mode a kit (2x8) is required to occupy slots as configured on page 11 in your manual.

Note: You have a DDR4 module so configure as per note (1) as DDR3 is different (2)

Solution
Nov 22, 2021

I will get my hands on a MB speaker in the morning and report back!

Cheers, I had assumed slot 1 was the appropriate slot. I've now tested each slot but to no avail.

TRENDING THREADS