computer doesnt recognise size of hd

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
after a reformat and installin xp i come to see that my 80 gig maxtor hd is only recognised as a 35 gig one. does ne one know why or how it can be fixed. thanks

athlon 2500
512mb corsair xms 3200
radeon 9800np
80 gig hd

you have not formatted it to its full size.
If you have partition magic, use that to re-size the partition.
Else, warez Partition magic and do as above. lol

My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your partition is not full size. The recommendation to fix it with Partition magic is valid. However, your motherboard BIOS might not support drives over 38GB, so you'll want to make sure it's current first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
it does support over 35 gig hd's cus i had an 80 gig WD one in but changed it over to this maxtor cus the maxtor was better due to my WD being 4 yrs old and slower.
i have got PM however when i try to maximise the drive or make another partition i only have 35 gigs to work with. Am i using it wrong only jus got it.

athlon 2500
512mb corsair xms 3200
radeon 9800np
80 gig hd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember drive size limit jumpers? I wonder if his drive has them...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Hrmm, Maxtor 80? Quite possibly. Haven't really used Maxtor for years, so not sure. Definitely something to check out though.

Crashman is talking about a jumper that limits drives to 32or 38, can't remmber, GB, to help make it compatible with more systems. Look on your drive to see if it has that. If so, remove it. Know I had a batch of IBMs that had that problem, jumper was on by default, and since I didn't build those systems, just suggested the parts, didn't come up until later(somehow that programmer and admin never noticed they only had half the space they were supposed to. Go figure)