Question Computer doesn't recognize keyboard. Works when plugged into my laptop.

Sep 5, 2022
I have a wired mechanical keyboard (Keychron Q1) and it doesn't work when plugged into my desktop computer. However, the keyboard works perfectly find when I plugged it into my laptop. I've tested all of the usb ports on my computer and they all work when plugged in with a different device. I've gone into device manager and reset everything and updated everything but nothing worked. I have restarted my computer so many times and I even contacted Microsoft support but they didn't help. I factory reset my entire computer and that didn't do anything. I've tried using the QMK toolbox to flash the keyboard but it doesn't detect my keyboard when I plug it in.

If anyone knows what is going on please let me know, I have no idea what to do.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With a known working keyboard, hook it up to your platform and then see if your platform's motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Since we're here, can you please parse your full system's specs to your build? How are you trying to tether the Q1 with your platform?

Sep 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With a known working keyboard, hook it up to your platform and then see if your platform's motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Since we're here, can you please parse your full system's specs to your build? How are you trying to tether the Q1 with your platform?

Sorry, by "tether" do you mean the cable i'm using to connect? I'm using a usb-c cable that has a usb-c to usb-a adapter at the end. I've tested the cable on my laptop both with and without the adapter and they both work fine. I don't have a working keyboard yet but I downloaded the latest bios update I could find for my mobo and it still didnt work.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I meant the specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

It does seem odd how the keyboard isn't functioning on your platform but it does on a laptop. When I meant a functioning keyboard, I meant a spare one borrowed from a friend or neighbor. I'm not going to use my credentials to see your link, sorry.

How did you manage to get your OS on your build?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022
I meant the specs to your build, like so:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Prime B550-PLUS
Ram: 16.0 GB Gskill Trident Z
SSD/HDD: I forget the exact thing but I have a SSD with 1T storage
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 1050 Ti
PSU:
Chassis:

It does seem odd how the keyboard isn't functioning on your platform but it does on a laptop. When I meant a functioning keyboard, I meant a spare one borrowed from a friend or neighbor.

How did you manage to get your OS on your build?

I got it off my university website, they offered Windows 10 Education for free. The microsoft support assistant told me that I should probably change that to Home but I don't want to spend 100 dollars on that. Also I don't have access to a spare keyboard until tomorrow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Prime B550-PLUS
Ram: 16.0 GB Gskill Trident Z
SSD/HDD: I forget the exact thing but I have a SSD with 1T storage
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 1050 Ti
PSU:
Chassis:

Lutfij

Titan
You don't need to spend on anything, if you don't mind seeing a watermark at the bottom right hand corner of your main screen, you can simply install the OS afresh after crating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Sep 5, 2022
You don't need to spend on anything, if you don't mind seeing a watermark at the bottom right hand corner of your main screen, you can simply install the OS afresh after crating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.
I don't need a product key for it? How do I get my PC ready for a new installation?

edit: I already downloaded and pressed install and it automatically just guides me to "Install Windows 10 Education"

Last edited:

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I don't need a product key for it? How do I get my PC ready for a new installation?

edit: I already downloaded and pressed install and it automatically just guides me to "Install Windows 10 Education"

A product key is not mandatory, unless you want all Windows features available to you.
Like Lutfij had stated, there will be that watermark on the screen. A lot of personalization options and features will remain unavailable to you. You will also not be able to join any domains.

Sep 5, 2022
A product key is not mandatory, unless you want all Windows features available to you.
Like Lutfij had stated, there will be that watermark on the screen. A lot of personalization options and features will remain unavailable to you. You will also not be able to join any domains.

so is my OS the reason why my pc doesn’t recognize my keyboard?