kryvian

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hello, a friend came with an MP3 player (USB), when I connected it, the computer didn't see it, now my computer doesn't see any USB connected devices on none of it's ports, but it gives them power.

Before I noticed this problem I connected that MP3 player to another computer as well, now it can't see any USB connected devices as well (including it's USB device).

I scanned the computer, no viruses, I restarted the computer, I cut off it's power, I took out it's BIOS battery, I uninstalled and reinstalled all the USB ports. Nothing changed.

I am now clueless.
Please help.

G

Well, (obviously) don't connect that player to any more computers.

Have a look in Device Manager and see if USB is present or yellow flagged. If it's present try uninstalling USB and then refreshing (or restarting Windows) which may provoke Windows to reinstall the USB card in a working state.

It may of course be a hardware fault in the player, knocking out one of the lines on the USB sockets.

You may have to install a PCI USB card to replace damaged ones (or if laptop a PCMCIA card with USB sockets)

kryvian

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Well, (obviously) don't connect that player to any more computers.

1st thing I did is tell that person to not plug it in any other comp.

Have a look in Device Manager and see if USB is present or yellow flagged. If it's present try uninstalling USB and then refreshing (or restarting Windows) which may provoke Windows to reinstall the USB card in a working state.

They figured as working just fine.

I tried:

I uninstalled, reinstalled (didn't work),
Uninstalled and reboot, it found the USBs and installed them (didn't work),
I unistalled, closed comp, took out power cable, took out battery, put it back (obviously), didn't work.
I ventured off in registry with Selective something something, that didn't do anything.

I formated the whole comp, reinstalled windows, same thing, gives power to the devices but doesn't see them.

It may of course be a hardware fault in the player, knocking out one of the lines on the USB sockets.

You may have to install a PCI USB card to replace damaged ones (or if laptop a PCMCIA card with USB sockets)

I put the flash player in only one USB port, so let's say that port is fried, say all motherboard integrated usb ports are fried, but I have a card (not actually a card, it has 2 cables that run into the motherboard (not an expert, can't explain in technical terms) that gives me 2 extra usb slots, same thing there.

Is it possible to physically damage all usb ports? motherboard integrated and not?

Oh, sidenote, the other computer that I plugged the mp3 player in now sees the USB mouse and works just fine. :pfff:

sub mesa

Distinguished
What makes you think the USB ports are broken? You say they still work with your USB mouse and stuff, but only your MP3 player doesn't work, right?

That doesn't explain why you think all the USB ports in your computer are broken. If that's true, why does your mouse work? Also, what OS are you on?

kryvian

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I plugged that MP3 player (my friend's) into 2 computers before I saw the problem.

my computer doesn't see any USB devices, the other didn't use to see, now that computer sees it's USB mouse, but my computer still doesn't see anything even after a format, Windows XP SP 2.

G

Sub Mesa: He's saying the other's computer's mouse works. No mention of main computer's mouse -- which may have PS/2 mouse.

kryvian: the USB "card" is just a socket plate. Have you tried moving its plug to the spare blue socket shown in the pic.

kryvian

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
no connect/disconnect sounds from computer, like I said, it's like nothing's plugged (from computer's point of view). my mouse is USB as well but it has PS/2 adapter, so it doesn't count.

and I'll try connecting that socket plate to the other socket.

kryvian

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
:cry: sorry for double post, I connected the socket plate to the other socket, nothing changed. could the BIOS be changed or something? this is beyond me.

sub mesa

Distinguished
It may have had a short-circuit and indeed fried.. that happened to one of my front-USB ports one day as i kicked a USB-stick residing in the front USB port with my foot accidentally, but hard enough to make the metal twist and presumably caused a short-circuit. It didn't work anymore, though other USB ports still work.

You may want to try with a PCI USB card if you can find it cheap.

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I actually managed to fry every USB port directly connected to the motherboard of the computer I'm using right now by unplugging a scanner while it was in use. PCI cards aren't that expensive though, you should be able to find one for less than $20; that's what I did and it works fine. I think some will even let you plug the connectors for the USB ports on your case into them; unless you physically damaged the port it should work fine with the new card.