[SOLVED] Computer doesn't seem to find any network adapters.

curtcurt16

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
After running into a black screen I wiped cmos and booted fine. (Later we assumed black screen is do to using a display port) I booted to no access to Internet not Ethernet nor wifi by my netgear wifi card. We tried some reset command promps. Tried to install intel internet drives received a can not install no Intel adapters found on computer. Trouble shooting comes up with drivers not found. Going to device manager only things found under network adapters are WAN MINIPORT files. PC was working good earlier. I originally rebooted to install ssd driver and ended up moving my ssd/m.2 into slot one from slot 1 realized that was why I had the first boot error. PLEASE HELP

SPECS
Mobo: msi x470 gaming pro carbon
Cpu ryzen 7 2700x
Gpu: 5700xt
Ssd: Samsung 970 Evo

Solution
Try to download a USB linux image. You should be able to boot and run completely from the USB device. Will be a little slow but all you really care about is if the ethernet works. Most these are much more complete now that USB are so big and fast. You should be able to just try to open a web page, you really don't even need to know unix commands. Most unix images have all the common ethernet drivers.

You will likely see it try to activate during boot but it scrolls pretty fast.

If this still does not work then it almost has to be the motherboard.

curtcurt16

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
I think OP mean he already have the driver, but it said it can't find the Ethernet hardware

Whoops my bad long day

Its very odd for the device to be missing for soldered on components. The LAN chip on the board is intel so the driver installer should see it. I can see 2 likely possibilities.

1: The LAN chip was disabled in the BIOS
2: the LAN chip was disabled in the registry

1 is far more likely and thankfully much easier to fix

curtcurt16

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Whoops my bad long day

Its very odd for the device to be missing for soldered on components. The LAN chip on the board is intel so the driver installer should see it. I can see 2 likely possibilities.

1: The LAN chip was disabled in the BIOS
2: the LAN chip was disabled in the registry

1 is far more likely and thankfully much easier to fix
LAN I enabled
LAN Option rom disabled
Network stack disabled

I haven't tried to do my mother board drivers. Only intel. I wiped the computer and all Drives to see if any windows drivers were corrupted. Gonna try and reinstall Mobo drivers tonight and see but I have a feeling it's more then that. A friend mentioned that clearing cmos might have messed with the adapter info in bios or something

Try to download a USB linux image. You should be able to boot and run completely from the USB device. Will be a little slow but all you really care about is if the ethernet works. Most these are much more complete now that USB are so big and fast. You should be able to just try to open a web page, you really don't even need to know unix commands. Most unix images have all the common ethernet drivers.

Solution

curtcurt16

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

If it is the motherboard is it fix able? Like update bios or anything. We have come to the thought that clearing cmos might have wiped my network stuff from my mobo. ( Sorry not great with technical stuff got PC)

Not likely. Most the stuff stored is setting on say the boot drive order or maybe memory or cpu clocks.

By default the ethernet should be enabled. Many motherboards do not even have setting to turn off the ethernet if you want to.

In general I never update a motherboard bios unless I have a actual problem. It should not have changed in any way just because you reset the cmos.