Computer doesn't show nothing on screen after renovation of thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunolopespontes

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Hi everyone! Well, this is kinda bad, but after I swaped the thermal paste on my cpu, the desktop didnt turn. I cant exactly promise, but i ensure you i did everything right, the only thing questionable was the removal of the cpu out of the motehrboard to dry, but im pretty sure I put everything well.
And after I saw everything was connected right, I close the case and connected all the cables to the computer again, then pressed the power button and everything turned on, the fans, the blue led lights on the case's fan, the only thing that didnt power on was the 2 red leds on the front of the case with the words "power" and "hdd", which the "power" one always turns on and the "hdd" one blinks. The other thing that happen out of normal was that, even tho the desktop was well connected to my monitor, the monitor didn't show anything, it even said "no video signal detected". I tried a lot of things, from redoing the swap of the thermal paste to the checking if every cable on the motherboard and out of it was connected correcly, but the issue persisted.
Can anyone help me?

For those who need, these the desktop specs:
Intel core i5-4460 4 cores and 4 threads and 3.20 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
MSI GTX 970 gaming (MS-V316)
Motherboard MSI H97 PC Mate (MS-7850)
Chipset Intel H97
Ram 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
Windows 10 Home 64 bits
Main HDD with OS: 250GB SSD
Second HDD: 1TB HDD
Sorry if you need more information, but i cant turn on correctly the pc to show more information. Hope this helps.

brunolopespontes

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
I can confirm i alredy knew about that arrow on the cpu and motherboard and that is aligned correctly. Sorry for not knowing much about this stuff, but i dont understand what you mean by CMOS reset.

brunolopespontes

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Ok, after some research I knownwhat a cmos reset is, and for what i have seen it doesnt erase my hard disks data, what is rly good, but im in doubt with something, reseting cmos, and with that, clearing the bios settings, doestn erase the OS? Or is the OS all in the SSD?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, that would do nothing to the data on your hard drives. A CMOS Reset only resets the BIOS custom configuration settings to factory defaults. In fact, sometimes this is not complete and a second small step is advised to ensure complete setting to stable factory defaults. But that does change a few items that MAY be important in individual cases. Certain things like which drive to boot from, and whether to send video out to your monitor from a mobo video system or from an added graphics card in your PCIe slots, often are customized for your system and might need to be re-established.

First, let's check those front panel indicators for Power and HDD. Each of them is a LED connected by two wires to part of a mobo header at the bottom front corner labeled JFP1. See your mobo manual, p. 1-7 for the diagram, and 1-22 for its pinout. For each, the wires may end in a two-hole single connector, or two separate one-hole connectors, and these will have polarity labels on them: + and -. For both, polarity is important.So, first do the POWER LED leads plugged into JFP1 at the top row left-most and adjacent pins. Check the polarity marks on the connectors, and ensure they are done with the + one on Pin #2 at the far left upper position, and the - one on Pin #4 next to it. Next do the HDD LED connector, which goes to the two LOWER row pins just below the ones for Power LED, similarly mating the correct polarities. If you get the polarity of one of these wrong, there is no damage, but it just will not light up and you have to swap them. That COULD be why they are not lighting for you now.

Now, on to lack of display. IF you did it, the RESET function may have set your BIOS to output video from its own on-board system rather than from your video card. Or it MIGHT have done some of this for other reasons. But before any further changes, try turning on your system now and observe those front panel indicators. Do they light up now? If so, does your monitor show anything yet, or still just the "No Signal" message?

IF the monitor still shows "No Signal", first check the settings of the monitor itself through its menus. Ensure that it is set to use the particular input you have used for connection to your computer (HDMI, DVI, or whatever). If that does not work, set it to whatever you normally will use as its input connection. Then try this. Unplug the cable to your monitor from the video card and connect it to the correct socket on the back panel of your mobo. See manual p.1-9. Now try turning things on. Does your monitor show something other than "no signal"? If yes, we've made progress. If there is no improvement, these steps have not done anything useful and we'll have to look elsewhere. Skip to the end.

Now, IF you do get a simple display on your monitor we can proceed to finishing and adjusting the Reset if necessary. FIRST, if you have NOT done the Reset operation, do NOT do the steps in these next two paragraphs! Doing a Reset properly and completely will change some custom settings in your BIOS and require you to re-adjust some of them. No sense doing that if not necessary. But IF the Reset was done, let's do it again and completely. Shut the system down, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer, and open the case. Find the Reset jumper on a pair of pins on the mobo near bottom centre labelled JBAT1. Normally the jumper will NOT short those two pins together - the jumper may just be "parked" on one pin. VERY close to that will be the battery, a silver disk about the size of a quarter in a plastic holder. Examine it carefully for markings so you know which side is showing out before you start. Now, remove that battery from its holder. Move the Reset jumper to short together those two pins and leave it there for 10 to 15 seconds. Then pull it off and re-park it on ONE pin only. Next replace the battery RIGHT SIDE OUT in its holder. Finally, close the case and re-connect the power cord.

Last steps involve getting into BIOS Setup. See your manual, p. 3-2. Turn on power and hold down the "Del" key while the initial messages show on the monitor screen until it shows the opening screen of BIOS Setup. (I hold that "Del" down because sometimes the system does not "see" the key if is pressed only briefly.) See manual p.3-3. Choose the "Settings" block on the left, then see p. 3-7. Choose the "Save and Exit" item and see p. 3-16. On that menu choose "Restore Defaults". This will ensure that a complete set of stable default settings is used. Now escape back out to the opening screen of BIOS Setup, manual p. 3-3.

IF you never did a Reset process, you should have skipped those last two paragraphs and jumped to here. To reiterate, do this to enter the BIOS Setup screen. See your manual, p. 3-2. Turn on power and hold down the "Del" key while the initial messages show on the monitor screen until it shows the opening screen of BIOS Setup. (I hold that "Del" down because sometimes the system does not "see" the key if is pressed only briefly.) See manual p.3-3. From here you should check a few settings, whether or not you have re-done the Reset process. First is the Boot Device priority. Note the row of device icons near the top. Does it have your correct boot device in the first position? Any others need to be set correctly? I am not clear whether you can simply move the icons on this display, or whether you must use the menu item "Boot Option #1~N" on p. 3-15. Next, let's set the video output system. If you were successful in getting monitor info using the mobo's video output on its back panel, we will set this now to change it to use your video card. On the main menu choose "Settings". See p. 3-7 and choose "Advanced". See p. 3-9 under "Initiate Graphics Adapter" and choose "PEG". Now back up to the Settings menu and choose the "Save and Exit" menu - see p. 3-16. Choose "Save Changes and Reboot". Immediately go to your back panel and move the cable to your monitor from the mobo back panel socket to your video card's output socket so your monitor can receive the new signal from your video card according to that last change. Hopefully you get useful stuff on that screen, and a good boot.

Now, lots of that supposes that this all works. If the whole process failed somewhere along the line, let us know what did not work at first so we can think of better things to try.

brunolopespontes

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for the anwser, but nothing worked. The pins for the leds are connected correctly and arent working still, and when i went to do the "going to BIOS" part i noticed another problem, while the mouse lits up and i assume it worsk, my keyboard doesnt, and i know that the keyboard isnt faulty, so i cant acess the BIOS because my keyboard doesnt go on when I turn on the PC, so i really dont know what is going on in my machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.