Computer doesn't start, no beeps, no video, fans are running - I tried everything I knew

paullik

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Hello,

As the title says, my computer won't start up.
There are no beeps, I checked the PSU (with a voltmeter) and it seems fine.
I also removed/swapped/replaced my RAM sticks, no beeps, no POST in any combination.
I removed all connected consumers (PCI-E video card, HDD, CD Rom, external card reader, USB cables).
The LED on the MB is on, also the CPU and the PSU fans are running.

One interesting thing is that if I connect the HDD to the PSU, I cannot feel the HDD vibrate.
Some other HDD vibrates if connected to said PSU.

I performed the steps in the sticky thread, no luck.
The computer is not DIY, until two days ago the only problem that I had was that sometimes it froze and I had to restart it several times to get it working, maybe this is related to the fact the my HDD is dead?

I also tried with another PSU, again, no luck.
I reset the BIOS, nothing...

Apart from a dead HDD, what else do I have on my hands here? (is it the MB or the CPU? How do I test this?)
How do I get it working?

Edit:

I forgot to say that I tried two MB speakers, same result.
Both speakers are working since I tested them on a battery.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
You need to list your PC parts - and also be a bit more specific - I take it there's no picture on boot up?

Are you using the video card to display, or does your cpu have onboard graphics?

EDIT: I will say that it has nothing to do with your hdd. You only need motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, ram stick, psu and video out in order to post successfully.

My first thought is that it would be your ram, but if you checked it and swapped others out...

My knee-jerk reaction would be that if you stripped down to the essentials and you are certain - absolutely certain - it's not the PSU (you should try another, or have the PSU put in another machine to be sure) then it could be the motherboard or CPU.

But, to be sure of this you should check connections to the motherboard, swap out cables etc etc

paullik

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015

No, there is no picture.
I tried to use both the external video card and the integrated one, without success though.

I'm aware it may have nothing to do with the HDD, but I said that so there's some history that may help debugging.

I will try to check everything out one more time, just to be extra-sure.

Edit:
Forgot to list the parts:
MB: Asus P5VD2MX SE: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5VD2MX_SE/
CPU: Intel Pentium D: http://ark.intel.com/products/27512/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-820-2M-Cache-2_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB
Video card: ATI Radeon X1600
PSU: LPK19-460W

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Well that PSU is very questionable. It may very well not be the issue, but I'd vote for that over a problem with your cpu or motherboard.

I know you've checked it out with a voltmeter but that's only half the story. If you can, get it checked in another system or put another power supply in your system.

I doubt it's ram since you've swapped sticks out already.

It could be the CPU, though unlikely, but again a part swap will tell you this.

It shouldn't be video because you've tried both options. Unless there's something wrong with the cable.

Motherboard is possible, but it is a solid make and I doubt it. Suspect it only when you've eliminated everything else.

As an aside, you could connect the HDD to another system to see if it reads.

paullik

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015

I did try with another PSU, nothing happened.

I did try the HDD in another system, it did not spin.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Well it's starting to look like occam's razer.

You've ruled out Ram, PSU and video, so it has to be either motherboard or cpu.

The fact that the hdd is also bricked is an indicator of a wider issue. It's rare for parts to stop working simultaneously. And with the symptoms you were experiencing with having to restart several times, this is something that has been building up until it eventually conked out altogether.

This coupled with the hdd (which I'm guessing held the OS) leads me to suggest taking it in to a computer shop to have them take a look - and brace yourself for the fact you may need to replace the motherboard or cpu.

Anyway if that happens, I recommend you get a different PSU. At fault or not it's not something you want powering your system.

Latest posts