[SOLVED] Computer doesn't turn on for mysterious reasons.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
This happens every time I don't turn my computer on for a few weeks in a row. I'll come home and it doesn't turn on. I then have to unplug and plug in the connection between the power supply and my motherboard for it to work. Sometimes I have to try this multiple times until it finally turns on again and is good to go until my next leave of absence. Any idea why this happens?

Another oddity I've come across is the SATA ports for my drives. My computer will only power on if my HDD is plugged into the third SATA port. For background, I used to use the HDD as my boot drive. It was always the third port. I then reformatted and introduced an SSD to hold my OS. I wasn't able to turn the computer on with the SSD in the third SATA port, but once I switched the HDD back to the third and put the SSD in the first, it turned on and booted from the SSD even though it had previously booted from the HDD in the third port. This one is an even bigger "power on" mystery than the first for me.

Solution
Don’t be sorry, that’s entirely my fault. I misread that page and thought that was the name of the PSU within the case not the case itself. I should’ve read it more carefully.
Anyway, my whole system is 6 years old at this point and I’ve used it quite heavily. So it’s held in there, but yes, maybe it’s reaching end of life.
Any idea why it works fine as long as I use it daily but doesn’t turn on when I leave it turned off for a couple weeks? Is that consistent with a poor performing PSU?
I'm not really sure why it works fine as long as you use it daily but acts up when you leave it turned of for a few weeks. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge will pipe in? All I know is looking at your build, the PSU, even when new, is...

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
An update. After the latest trip away, my trick of unplugging and replugging the main connector didn’t work :( . It won’t turn on at all now.

full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
As rock H97M-ITX
i5 4690-k
HDD and SSD
GTX970

I’m not sure the exact make and model of the PSU but I have done the paper clip trick and the PSU is running. I’ve also tried the screwdriver trick and that isn’t working so I don’t think it’s the power switch or PSU.

Any ideas?

DSzymborski

Titan
Paper clip trick can only definitely identify a PSU that is completely dead. It can't identify a PSU that is functioning properly or not.

rgd didn't ask the question for frivolous reasons; the specific information is extremely important. The more information that is provided, the better the odds that someone can diagnose your issue from a distance.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Paper clip trick can only definitely identify a PSU that is completely dead. It can't identify a PSU that is functioning properly or not.

rgd didn't ask the question for frivolous reasons; the specific information is extremely important. The more information that is provided, the better the odds that someone can diagnose your issue from a distance.

This is definitely it. I found a link that talks about it. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/silverstone-sugo-sg08/
The model is from 2012 so it’s pretty old. I think mine is about 7 years old. It’s just weird that in the past this would happen and I would unplug and replug the 24 pin connector and it would work indefinitely until the next time I left it off for more than a week again.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
The case is probably not relevant. What is the make/model of your power supply? How about your RAM?

Oh sorry, just noticed the power supply is a Silverstone SST-ST60F. Googling suggests this is not a very good PSU and frankly I'm surprised it lasted this long. I hope it didn't damage the motherboard as well.
Don’t be sorry, that’s entirely my fault. I misread that page and thought that was the name of the PSU within the case not the case itself. I should’ve read it more carefully.
Anyway, my whole system is 6 years old at this point and I’ve used it quite heavily. So it’s held in there, but yes, maybe it’s reaching end of life.
Any idea why it works fine as long as I use it daily but doesn’t turn on when I leave it turned off for a couple weeks? Is that consistent with a poor performing PSU?

I'm not really sure why it works fine as long as you use it daily but acts up when you leave it turned of for a few weeks. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge will pipe in? All I know is looking at your build, the PSU, even when new, is definitely the weak link and PSU components degrade over time. Having said all that, it still could be your motherboard. My money is on the PSU though.

Solution

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
The case is probably not relevant. What is the make/model of your power supply? How about your RAM?

Oh sorry, just noticed the power supply is a Silverstone SST-ST60F. Googling suggests this is not a very good PSU and frankly I'm surprised it lasted this long. I hope it didn't damage the motherboard as well.
Thanks, I’ll pick up a new PSU and hopefully that works. If not, I will have to just rebuild the whole thing.
RGD or dszymborski - any other insight on the whole leaving powered down thing?

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
does it boot if you only have the ssd in 1st sata port?
check bios settings?
if it working now, might just leave it
It’s not working now. It won’t turn on. I used to be able to fix it by unplugging and replugging the 24 pin PSU connector to MB but now that’s not even working. This problem only happened when I would leave it powered down for two weeks, but now it seems permanent.
I wondered if the CMOS battery had anything to do with it, but now with Ricky’s help think it might be the PSU being old and just bad.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Any chance it could be the CMOS? Also, are most PSUs the same size? I have a mini ITX so the case is pretty small.

It can be, bad CMOS battery causes stupid issues that usually occurs after a power down-power up cycle. Sometimes in tandem with bad BIOS or bad PSU as well.

Not all PSUs are of the same size, but they do have form factor standards. ATX is the most common, sometimes you see TFX or SFX as well. That said, your PSU is ATX standard at medium depth (160mm). Should be easy to find a replacement of similar depth or even bit shorter.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
It can be, bad CMOS battery causes stupid issues that usually occurs after a power down-power up cycle. Sometimes in tandem with bad BIOS or bad PSU as well.

Not all PSUs are of the same size, but they do have form factor standards. ATX is the most common, sometimes you see TFX or SFX as well. That said, your PSU is ATX standard at medium depth (160mm). Should be easy to find a replacement of similar depth or even bit shorter.
Many thanks for that insight. I’ll just replace the CMOS and PSU to be safe and I’ll report back.