Computer dosent full go to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miket1396

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
When I try to send my computer to sleep, the screen goes black, the keyboard lights and mouse lights go off, but my case fans and case lights are all on still, is this fixable?

Solution
Sleep is not Off. During sleep, the pc is actually still running, just in a low power mode where non-essential components are shut down or turned down so low as to be looking shutoff. Kinda like when you sleep, subconscious is still working but conscious thought is not, your heart still beats and you still breathe. In order for the mouse/kb to wake the pc, it needs to still be on, if the mouse is off, it'd not know you are moving it. Since the pc is technically still on, the fans might slow down but not stop entirely or the pc would overheat. If the fans have leds, they will still be on, as power is still fed to the fan, the leds are rarely separate, and those that are are switched manually, not by the cpu.

There is only 1 fix to...

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

What OS are you using? When you move your mouse does your monitor awake again?.......Check your device manager and make sure everything is good but you need to provide more info here.

miket1396

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

I just tested it and yes the mouse wakes it up. And sorry I posted in qindows 10, thought that'd be enough to say it's running Windows 10. I also have hibernation made enabled along side sleep mlde. Not sure if that'd do anything, figured I'd say it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sleep is not Off. During sleep, the pc is actually still running, just in a low power mode where non-essential components are shut down or turned down so low as to be looking shutoff. Kinda like when you sleep, subconscious is still working but conscious thought is not, your heart still beats and you still breathe. In order for the mouse/kb to wake the pc, it needs to still be on, if the mouse is off, it'd not know you are moving it. Since the pc is technically still on, the fans might slow down but not stop entirely or the pc would overheat. If the fans have leds, they will still be on, as power is still fed to the fan, the leds are rarely separate, and those that are are switched manually, not by the cpu.

There is only 1 fix to turning everything off, and thats turning the pc off completely. Sleep is a low power mode, not a dead mode.

Hibernation is for laptops. Not desktops. Turn it off and get rid of it entirely. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Solution

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

Well Something is going on with his unit because in Win 10 sleep mode all systems shut down. There are no fans running etc. At least with my computer anyway. It cant over heat because nothing is running.
Try Putting your computer to sleep 2 ways. 1) Select the power and choose Sleep. Then right click- display and in those settings choose sleep in 1 min or whatever and see if there is a difference. Also check your usb and disconnect any external drives etc. Check your power plan at set it to balanced. Display- additional power settings-
Also I have included this link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/hardware/ff564575(v=vs.85).aspx
As your Bios may be set to a different sleep state.
One more thing is that if your computer is really hot to begin with fans will still run. Anyway this is all I know so good luck,

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Question. For how long have you waited on sleep?
Sleep mode has like 6 stages, each getting progressively deeper. When pc starts sleep, that's just shutting off monitors and putting clocks to extra slow. After a while of non-interrupted sleep, it drops a mode and some things turn off, clocks get lower, and this progresses into deeper modes until the pc is barely functional. But, the sleep timers need a way of waking up out of sleep, so generally the kb and/or mouse will stay powered on. Just so when you hit a key or move the mouse, it wakes up the pc.

Sleep is not Off, it's a Standby mode. Hibernation is somewhat similar, but will shut off the kb and/or mouse because it will wake when you open the laptop lid instead. Pc doesn't have that lid functional switch.

In my Asus motherboard bios is basic controls for the motherboard leds. Aura On = all leds, all the time. Aura Off = leds off in sleep except diagnostic leds. Stealth mode = all leds off in sleep...

Status
Not open for further replies.