Question Computer download speeds are inconsistent across speed testing platforms, seems to be causing slow downloads.

Dec 27, 2021
So this has been an ongoing issue with my computer ever since I upgraded my internet to gigabit (not fiber). When testing the speed on google's built in speed test, it never goes above 15 mpbs. When using ookla's website for speed testing, i'll get what I am expecting to get which is around 400-500 mbps. When using Ookla's windows app however, It will never go above 80 mbps down. This issue occurs only on this specific computer and both on ethernet and Wi-Fi. I've also noticed downloads from websites other than google drive will go anywhere from 400 KB/s - 2 MB/s which is pretty inline with the google inbuilt speed test, while google drive downloads go at the full 400 mbps. Any ideas?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
google is speedy no wonder here
and yes ookla's windows app shows slower download speeds than in google chrome
you said it's not fiber , then is it cable ?
if it's cable then it's pretty normal , that's cable's nature . it goes up and down violently .

Dec 27, 2021
google is speedy no wonder here
and yes ookla's windows app shows slower download speeds than in google chrome
you said it's not fiber , then is it cable ?
if it's cable then it's pretty normal , that's cable's nature . it goes up and down violently .
It was some sort of software problem because i did end up reinstalling windows (i had enough of the issue) and now all testing platforms show the same speeds of 700+ which is even better than what i got before.