Computer dying not sure why

scarras_ballsack

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Running win 7 64 bit. For the longest time never had problems with running fallout 4 borderless and chrome open with 30+ tabs. Recently whenever I try do both I get a windows message saying I'm running out of memory but when I go into task manager it will say it's only using 6.9/8gb of ram. Also noticed my taskbar icons have rearranged (the icon for fallout 4 randomly gets replaced by skype) and sometimes pc will just close a bunch of programs like fallout 4 chrome etc when ignoring the message.

Does this hint that my ram needs replacing? Can't think of what else would be causing these problems.

Solution
If you are able to almost max out your RAM without any issues until you fully max it out, your RAM is doing what it's suppose to. Like I said, 30 tabs and playing Fallout 4 is A LOT for 8 GBs of ram like you stated (7/8 GB usage)

Again, if you want to keep running all of this without any issues, upgrade to 16 GB using the same RAM you have, or new 2 x 8 GB set (don't put two different sets of RAM together!)

You're only issue right now, is that your 8 GB of RAM can't handle how much you want to do.

DrGreen

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Sounds like your RAM is working perfectly fine, maybe try to not open 30 tabs and play games at the same time? Do you have any issues gaming without 30 tabs open in the background..? Of course Windows is going to warn you when you're using too much RAM, as Windows also need the RAM to run... which explains why your PC will close the programs.. If it didn't your computer would blue screen because you didn't have enough memory to run the computer. If anything, its saving you from killing it.

Your computer isn't dying. If you want to keep running 30 tabs and play fallout 4 at the same time upgrade to 16 GBs of RAM. I have no clue why you would ever need more than 10 tabs open while gaming... seeing as you know that its pushing your RAM close to the max why would you do it? Are you asking for issues?

scarras_ballsack

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Thanks for the reply. The issue shouldn't be that I have 30 tabs though its that for the longest time I've been doing it for no problems and even when I am doing like I said in the original post it's only showing about 7GB at max most of the time out of 8gb total used. Again like I've said I've done it for a long long time having tons of shit open and never ran into any problems until recently which is why I'm asking if anythings going wrong.

DrGreen

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
If you are able to almost max out your RAM without any issues until you fully max it out, your RAM is doing what it's suppose to. Like I said, 30 tabs and playing Fallout 4 is A LOT for 8 GBs of ram like you stated (7/8 GB usage)

Again, if you want to keep running all of this without any issues, upgrade to 16 GB using the same RAM you have, or new 2 x 8 GB set (don't put two different sets of RAM together!)

You're only issue right now, is that your 8 GB of RAM can't handle how much you want to do.

Solution

werries238

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Well if you run out of RAM the game would crash as far as I know from personal experience. Then again when I run ONE tab while gaming with the steam overlay it uses 1.2GB to 1.5 GB RAM, so it could be your problem. The icons changing I have no idea but depending on the age and speed of your RAM it might need replacement but try everything possible to save some $.
Also when you say 'dying' is it turning off of does it just crash?
Hope it helps!