Question Computer experiences persistent stuttering every second even after windows reinstall

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Any one ever encounter stuttering, that persist through windows reinstall and randomly occurs?
I have this periodic issue where the computer begins to experience stutters every second for a fraction of a second. This occurs when the computer is booted up and continues to persist even when there are no active programs.
Checking my task manager none of the categories are reaching 100%. the highest is 46% at with memory.
This has been a persistent issue for a few months now and has persisted even through a windows reinstall.
Not sure what could have caused it to return, I haven't made any hardware changes and have not installed a new program since the issue returned.
Prior to the windows resinstall I was experiencing the following issues:
  • Blue Screen - DPC_Watchdog_Violation occurs when playing Apex Legends and The Cycle Frontier
  • Micro-Stuttering - Occurs every time I turn on the computer. Sometimes it goes away, occurs even when the computer is idle and no games are being played. Happens roughly every half second and lasts a half second.
After the reinstall I was experiencing Micro-stuttering that went away after ~3 days after the windows reinstall, but has returned today.
I have tried the following:
  • Defragmenting my SSD and HDD
  • Dusted my computer and made sure it was clean
  • Removed Temp files
  • Did the standard CCcleaner options
  • Ran windows defender / Malwarebytes virus scans, nothing detected
Any ideas on what to try or what to check to see what the issue might be?
Thanks!

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
I tried that personally but my pc started crashing consistently. It could be just me, but to be safe I told him to do it without xmp / docp first :)
Enable DOCP in the bios for rated speed of the ram.
Thanks for the help yall.

I went in there and updated the speed to 3200Mhz, and I also updated the FLCK 3200 Mhz, since I enabled DOCP by accident and that their their rations need to be 1:1.

I disabled DOCP and tried that configuration and my computer wouldn't post. I had to reset the CMOS to get the system to boot back in to the bios.

Was this the proper way? or should I have left the FLCK frequency alone?

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Thanks for the help yall.

I went in there and updated the speed to 3200Mhz, and I also updated the FLCK 3200 Mhz, since I enabled DOCP by accident and that their their rations need to be 1:1.

I disabled DOCP and tried that configuration and my computer wouldn't post. I had to reset the CMOS to get the system to boot back in to the bios.

Was this the proper way? or should I have left the FLCK frequency alone?
resetting the cmos just reset the bios to its' default. Try it my way first then. Normal bios, FLCK should be 1600. 3200mhz under mem freq

If no post / prob still persists:

reset cmos, enter bios, enable DOCP / XMP 1/ 2 and leave it at that then save then check windows

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
resetting the cmos just reset the bios to its' default. Try it my way first then. Normal bios, FLCK should be 1600. 3200mhz under mem freq

If no post / prob still persists:

reset cmos, enter bios, enable DOCP / XMP 1/ 2 and leave it at that then save then check windows
I followed your steps without updatingthe FLCK and it boots up. I made it in to windows and the task manager reads 3200MHz. Unfortunantly the problem still persists.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I'll try the DOCP method now and see what the results are.
I would personally keep the ram freq at 3200 as this is its' rated speed, but your choice. Do you have another gpu lying around? Try swapping it out and try to see if the problem persists. If you don't have one lying around, let me know ( don't try reseating it as you said, you've already tried.)

My next option is to DDU.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
I would personally keep the ram freq at 3200 as this is its' rated speed, but your choice. Do you have another gpu lying around? Try swapping it out and try to see if the problem persists. If you don't have one lying around, let me know ( don't try reseating it as you said, you've already tried.)

My next option is to DDU.
Unfortunantly I do not. I only have the one GPU thats in the desktop. What is DDU?

Yup, I can make a video, whats the best website to upload a small video of it?

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Unfortunantly I do not. I only have the one GPU thats in the desktop. What is DDU?

Yup, I can make a video, whats the best website to upload a small video of it?
Display Driver Uninstaller. Uninstalls the display driver. A GPU kind of thing.
Here is a tutorial:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-2B14Nckw

I checked, its properly done. At 3:50 in the vid, wait till it boots, then reinstall GPU drivers from GeForce experience.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
here is the official DDU website download.

I will be back in the morning.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Display Driver Uninstaller. Uninstalls the display driver. A GPU kind of thing.
Here is a tutorial:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-2B14Nckw

I checked, its properly done. At 3:50 in the vid, wait till it boots, then reinstall GPU drivers from GeForce experience.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
here is the official DDU website download.

I will be back in the morning.
Thanks! I'll try that.

I uploaded the video here:

https://streamable.com/di8yzs

I was moving the mouse around since at 144hz I can really feel it with my trailing mouse and see the stuttering or jump, but anything with linear motion like the trains lets you see the video lag and then just forward. This occurs at all times, in games, while watching videos or if I'm just moving my mouse in circles on the desktop.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
I cleaned the display drivers and after reboot the stuttering is gone! It did reset my monitors default Hz and my other monitors arn't showing a display, but I'm gonna update the display drivers using GeForce Experience now.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
I tried it once more time to see if the results happen again.

This is the behaviour I am seeing:

Enter Safemode - No Stuttering
I do the DDU - No Stuttering
Computer Restarts - No Stuttering
At this point only one monitor is showing any display - No Stuttering
NVIDIA control panel installs automatically, and all my monitors now display an image - Stuttering returns
Reinstall up to date drivers - Stuttering persists

Some how NVIDA control panel installing itself is causing the stuttering

Any ideas?

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Tried manually Uninstalling the NVIDIA Graphics Drivers form the App & features also causes the stuttering to go away, but the I lose the image on two of the displays, then on a reboot new drivers are automatically installed by NVDIA control panel I'm assuming, and the stuttering returns

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Tried manually Uninstalling the NVIDIA Graphics Drivers form the App & features also causes the stuttering to go away, but the I lose the image on two of the displays, then on a reboot new drivers are automatically installed by NVDIA control panel I'm assuming, and the stuttering returns
Try doing it on 1 monitor first of all without having the 2 other monitors plugged in. What are the resolutions + refresh rate all your monitors?

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Try doing it on 1 monitor first of all without having the 2 other monitors plugged in. What are the resolutions + refresh rate all your monitors?
I'll go ahead and try this when I return from work. I have 3 monitors total:

Main Monitor: 144hz 2560x1440p
Second Monitor: 144hz 1920x1080p
Third Monitor: 60hz 1920x1080p

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
I tried it, looks like having my third monitor connected is causing the issue. I disconnected all the monitors and no stuttering. I added the second monitor and no stuttering then I added the third and the stuttering returned. I can reproduce it by disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor. So something occurs when the third monitor is connected that causes it.

Reactions: Fatblabs

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Try gaming and see if the problem really is fixed. You should see some performance boost as you've already enabled docp in the bios
The other ones are using display cables, so I can't test it with those monitors. Looks like everything is working like before now. No stutters and I have roughly 30FPS improvement in The Cycle Frontier.

Reactions: Vic 40